header

header

1.20.2010

Chili and Cornbread

This recipe is a cold weather staple around here. Snow, football, family...they all scream CHILI! Cumin gives this recipe a great smoky flavor and the carrots give it a nice sweetness that isn't overpowering.

Cold Weather Chili for a Crowd


Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic
3 T. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 t. basil
1/4 t. black pepper
2 (14 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
1 (14 oz) can black beans
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce



Brown beef, onions, carrots, and peppers in a large pan until beef is no longer pink and the onions are soft.

Add garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute.

Add meat and the remaining ingredients to a crock pot and cook on high 5 hours.

Serve with cornbread.



The recipe on the Quaker Cornmeal is my favorite cornbread recipe and the one I turn to on chili nights.

Quaker Cornbread

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup sugar (I measure this generously)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten



Heat oven to 400 F. Grease 8 or 9 inch pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve warm.




Do you have any leftover chili? Make a dip!

Chili Dip


Spread a block of softened cream cheese in a pie plate.

Spread 1 cup of leftover chili on top.

Sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded cheese.

Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips!

Tomorrow, join me to see what I did with this broken window I found in my girlfriend's garage!

20 comments:

  1. YUM...I love me some chili..the kids and husband pick out the beans. Never thought of cumin!!

    In these parts Cornbread is not something you find around the corner but I think I'll give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, chili and cornbread! That sounds so good on a nice cold day. =o)

    Droppin' in from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just may be what I make for dinner, thanks for the cornbread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that really looks like something I would enjoy on a cold day like this! Beautiful pictures...found you at Sits. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i could definetly go for a big fat bowl of that!!!

    can't wait to see your window project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your carrot idea. I'm going to have to try that the next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from SITS! These look like awesome recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the chili looks scrumptious! and i cannot wait to see what you have done with that window!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I'm going to have to make chili tonight!!! Can't wait to see the window (I've had one in my garage for a year...just can't decide which lovely project to do with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cornbread recipe!! Love the chili too, but that would mean I would have to cook and get my new range all dirty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm planning my Super Sunday menu, this could be a contender!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love the idea for the leftover chili. I have veggie chili on the stove right now for our church potluck tonight. I can't wait to see what everyone brings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can never go wrong with chili and cornbread! (I use the same cornbread recipe!!)

    Can't wait to see your project tomorrow! I have a TON of old farmhouse windows lying around!!

    Judy@cutest-little-things

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love me some chili and cornbread!! Yummy! Can't wait to see what you do with that awesome window!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just posted my chili recipe yesterday!! We're thinking on the same lines...check mine out.
    www.lisarusselldesigns.blogspot.com

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. recipe sounds yummy,Great idea! Think I'll have some cornbread and chili for dinner tonight.... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never thought to put carrots in my chili before. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That window is so great! You wouldn't have to do a thing to it. Love the color of the wood. Rainy, cold, windy, sounds like a good night for chili. Thanks:) Holly

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work