header

header

11.15.2010

Let's Make Caramel Apples!



You know those big, juicy caramel apples you can buy at fancy shops around this time of the year? Those things can run anywhere from $5 - $15 apiece and you can make something just as beautiful and delicious at home.

Let's gather our ingredients-

Choose 8 big, perfect Granny Smiths (I love the Costco Grannies in that plastic bubble container for this project):




About 40 Caramels (If you use this one, they include the sticks! Bonus!)



8 Popsicle Sticks

Semi-Sweet and White Chocolate Chips

An assortment of chopped nuts, mini-chips, mini-M&M's, sprinkles, Heath bars, etc...

Let's begin-

Melt your caramels in a pan with 4 Tbsp. of water,stirring until smooth (this is the most frustrating part).

Meanwhile, jam the blunt Popsicle sticks into the hard apple creating a sore palm and some swearing. I think the swearing actually helps the stick penetrate the apple. I don't know, I've never made these without swearing.

Prepare a cookie sheet covered with buttered plastic wrap. Arrange 8 little piles of whatever little goodies you chose (M&M's, nuts, sprinkles...). You will be setting the wet caramel apples on top of each pile to add another layer of goodness.

Once the caramels are melted, hold the apples by the stick and dip and twist your apple until it's coated. I like to tip the pan to make the caramel deeper. Continue to twirl the apple on the way up and over to the cookie sheet, and set it down on a pile of nuts, or m&m's or chocolate chips, or whatever else you dreamed up. You can kind of roll it around to embed the goodies into the caramel.

Repeat until all the apples are coated and nested in goodies. Let cool and set up.

Next, melt each of the chocolate and white chips, then place melted chocolate into two separate Ziploc baggies. Cut off the corner and squeeze each one over the caramel, nutty goodness in a messy criss cross fashion, just load it up!

See how pretty?



Get some crinkly cello wrap and a ribbon and you've got a teacher's gift to send along before Thanksgiving break.

*This post was originally published in November 2009*

9 comments:

  1. Oh yum! How pretty are these and what a fun and delicious Teacher treat before the holidays! I love caramel apples. I will have to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy... but I have to admit, I will probably never make them (I know, I could give them for gifts etc...) There is just something about biting into an apple I just don't like. I've gotta cut and dip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I actually have a tip for you! :) lol...when making caramel apples with store bought apples, you should boil some water and one by one, dip them in for about 10 seconds then remove them to get the wax off! That way more of the yummy caramel sticks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should try the carmal/white chocolate/cinamon sugar combo - super yummy...I will be making a new batch very soon - and probably some just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, now I'm drooling!! Yummmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Those look so good!!! you could easy get BIG money for something so fancy :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY WORD... I could SOOOOO eat one of those right now!!! I was actually going to ask you how you got the carmel to stick to the apple (because mine tends to roll off), but then I saw CupcakeLiz had a suggestion. If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear it. Thanks so much for sharing (although I wish you were "Sharing" a piece of that apple)!! LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work