header

header

11.01.2010

Show Your Team Spirit!



When attending a Pittsburgh Steelers game, you will notice everyone in the crowd waving gold flags to support their team. The "Terrible Towel" was invented by Pittsburgh radio broadcaster Myron Cope in 1975, and has become one of the most recognized fan symbols of any national sports team.

What better way to make our little guys feel the fan support during their Superbowl game than to have the stands full of their own Terrible Towels! You could easily make your own version with your own team colors the next time you want to rally fan support. Soooo...

Let's Make Terrible Towels!


Supplies:

Blank stencil plastic (found in your local craft store)
Exacto knife
Plain white washcloths (24/$9.99 at Costco)
Rit dye
Spray adhesive
Spray paint
Rubber gloves

Begin by dying your washcloths your team color. Rit dye and a big pot on the stove was the method I used. Follow the directions on the package.

While the dye is brewing, let's make our stencil! Print out your team name or saying on the computer using "Stencil" font. Lay the print out under the translucent plastic and cut out the letters with an Exacto knife.

You will end up with a stencil like this:



To protect the rest of the towel from over-spray, I taped old school papers around the edge. To make sure the whole stencil made contact with the towel, I used repositionable spray adhesive onto the back and pressed down. Then I spray painted the design.



It's 39 degrees, so I spread out a tarp and worked in the garage...shhhh, don't tell the Big Guy! I made an assembly line and worked really quickly - 48 towels in under 30 minutes.



Peel off the stencil and tada!



Repeat 47 more times and you are good to go!



Let's go Rams!

**Edit** WE WON!!! The boys played hard and shut out their rivals 14-0!



You will have an opportunity to share your own tutorials tomorrow at my linky party. Come on back and Teach Me Stuff!

.

12 comments:

  1. 47 times??? You are one hot mama and I bow to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your instructions to making your own team towel. I love the Steelers and I wish it was a better weekend for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! I will definitely be making some terrible towels in the future!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND Congrats Boys on your win!!! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you must be the greatest mama ever!! 47 times is hands-down dedication. ;) Glad they won!!

    I'm hosting a Silhouette Product Giveaway today, and you don't have to own the machine to use the items. :) Hope you might stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super idea! It's not too tough either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out TERRIFIC!!!! Great job! And how awesome they won....we're still on a Super bowl high over here...What a great win for the mommies :) Before you know it, it will be sign up time again :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I'd never heard of terrible towels...but we're not a big sports family. I'll have to remember this when our kids start playing sports, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool. Anyone having a "Terrible Towel" rocks!

    And I'm glad the team won too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work