ChocolateDecadence-Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies!
My Neighborhood Cookie Swap recipe this year was from Sunset Magazine:
Chocolate Decadence Cookies
* 10 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
* 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
* 3 large eggs, at room temperature
* 1 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup flour
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Put chocolates and butter in a medium metal bowl and set bowl over a pan filled with 1 in. of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until melted, then remove from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in eggs and sugar, mixing until combined. Then whisk in flour, baking powder, and salt. Chill dough, covered, until firm, about 2 hours.
2. Let dough sit at room temperature 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop 1 tbsp. portions of dough, rolling each into a ball, and put onto sheets 1 in. apart. Bake cookies until they no longer look wet on top, about 8 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets.
Make ahead: Batter up to 1 day; baked cookies up to 2 days, airtight.
The recipe recommended several variations on this same cookie. I chose to make it into a thumbprint cookie and squeeze smooth peanut butter into the indentation just before baking. Just fill up a zip top baggie and snip off the corner!
You could also flatten the cookies prior to baking them and sandwich them with Nutella, or sandwich them with peppermint icing (powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract until smooth) then roll the edges in crushed candy canes.
Here is my recipe for the Carmel Dream Tassies I baked last year. The yummiest cookie ever!
What is your favorite Christmas Cookie?