header

header

1.13.2010

My Favorite Potato Casserole



We call these Barb's Potatoes in my neighborhood, and they are perfect for a pot luck. I like to divide the batch and freeze half to have at a later time if I'm making these for dinner at home. They are creamy, cheesy and de-lish!

Ingredients:

1 (20 oz) pkg. frozen hash browns (I use the square ones, but the shredded ones are yummy, too), thawed
2 cups sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
2 T. parsley
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper


Combine all ingredients in large bowl and transfer to ungreased baking dish.

**("Barb" likes to sprinkle the top with crushed cornflakes and drizzle with melted butter. It's a lot of extra fat and calories, so I usually skip it and live with the 3,000 or so calories we've got here. But, it makes for a pretty presentation, so knock yourself out!)

Bake, uncovered, 350 degrees for 1 hour. (8-10 servings)

Yum-o!

15 comments:

  1. this is my fav too!! I call it "Cheesy Potatoes". I make it for potlucks, holidays, any days, etc. It's super easy and super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very similar recipe that I make except I use cubed hashbrown potatoes and YES I do the crushed cornflakes on top! It's a traditional dish that we make for Christmas dinner so I typically eat it once a year!! I love it, it's SO YUMMY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I printed it off and will make it this week. Can't wait.

    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds awesome!! perfect for a cold day with a roast ! I wrote out the recipe and will definitely try it! thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh thanks for the great recipe! YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my kids LOVE these! I have to admit, we too put the cornflakes on top ~ another reason I am a regular at the health club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm. My mother in law has a similar recipe. I had her make them for Christmas dinner...spectacular! I am all about not working for a holiday, so make ahead potatoes are a must! Will try your version with the fam. I know they'll love em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just put this in the oven. So quick and easy! Haven't had it yet but I can tell it's going to be good: cheese, hash browns, cheese, sour cream, cheese. I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh, The versatile potato...the comfort food we love. I can eat them, fried, baked or mashed. Smothered in any form of creamy concoction. I never tire of it's deliciousness.
    Thanks for sharing the 3,000 calorie version of this Potato Casserole recipe.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM, I've never tried it with square hashbrowns, only the shredded, but I'm totally trying it now! Thanks Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoops! How did I miss this???? Gonna be having this soon......yum.my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in Utah these are called Funeral Potatoes - I guess because people bring casseroles to funerals. I frequently make it for potlucks and I've never had any left in the pan. They are seriously yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are the traditional dish of Mormons for funerals. My husband's family makes them every Christmas as well. He calls them "Mormon potatoes" but always acts like I am being insulting when I say it as I'm not Mormon. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS they are my favorite dish at Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try making these with the potatoes o'brien (hash browns with onions and peppers)....mmmmm! We love it both ways, but the spicy version makes a nice change sometimes, plus it's very pretty and colorful with the red and green peppers.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work