header

header

6.17.2010

20 Minute Dress

Jessica, my new bloggy friend from Style Obsession recently posted about this great Rachel Roy dress that was on sale this month:



I commented that this dress seemed easy enough to sew, and a fun challenge was on!

Jessica and I emailed back and forth a bit and soon she had come up with her version.



I promised her I'd try to carve out some time to come up with my own version. My first attempt couldn't accommodate my ample behind, so I needed to re-cut and start over. It ended up taking me about 20 minutes from start to finish. I started with a paper pattern I used to cut out the fabric shaped like this:



Using a skirt as a measurement guide, I cut a rectangle and simply cut the corners out to create the arm holes. I ironed a 1/4 inch fold in the slanted area and sewed so the arm holes would not fray, then sewed a hem.

Next, I folded the neck area down 1 inch and sewed a channel for the ribbon. Now, just pin right sides together and sew from the hem to the bottom of the slanted armholes (between the arrows in the picture)

Turn right side out and thread cord or ribbon through the channel and tie over your shoulders.




Thanks, Jessica! This was a blast!

Don't forget to link up for Tutorial Tuesday - you just might win some custom stationary from Oh Write!

.

21 comments:

  1. Too funny---theyre like adult versions of the pillow case dress! You guys did a great job! (And in 20 min?!?...it would take me that long to thread the stupid machine!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute and I love the color! I have to admit my girlfriends would never make it in that dress! I think it might be considered offensive! You look great in it, you go skinny girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow love it and how simple it is! =D Now I want to make one >_<!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, simple, and sexy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yowza - sexy momma. It turned out great and now you need a date night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute! I applaud you both for going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And wear with body tape? I would be so scared my boobs would come out the side, but then I'm not in anywhere near as good of shape as you. I think it is adorable and you look fantastic in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I think I could sew that and I am very lacking in sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way cute! It looks fairly simple. I will have to add this little number to my sewing projects!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ~blessings

    Dorcas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute - I love it! And it looks easy enough for a beginner like me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super quick and easy!!!! waaaaay cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute. We used to do that in the 70s. Ya might wanna spend some of your savings on a roll of double sided tape :-O just sayin'...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out cute .. I have made a few tops this same style for my daughter.. I might have to try it as a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, you girls rock! Those are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks a lot like the pillow-case style dresses I made for my girls. It looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well aren't you a hotty boombalottie! Great job Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work