header

header

3.06.2008

My Secret Life as a Kickboxer

Ok, not everyone knows this, but for 1 hour a day I lead a double life. By day I'm a soccer mom and by night a kickboxer that would rival any villian on Kill Bill! Now, this all takes place in "Exercise Room 1" at the YMCA, but still...

I looked around yesterday morning at my classmates and the title for this entry occured to me. Here we are, all women, mostly all moms, in this class for one hour in the mornings. We are regular girls, thinking about the grocery list and when which kid gets picked up where, and about the PILE of laundry in the closet, but once we walk through that door we become warriors. We are one bad ass group of butt kicking mother f*&kers!

There is no one there to judge us, we punch hard and sweat and have such looks of concentration during that hour. Our instructor, Tammy, shouts out things like "What are you punching, we hate cheerleaders!", "Kick like you mean it!", and "Don't you dare give up on you!" (my personal favorite). She empowers us to be tough without worrying about our husbands hiding around the corner snickering.

We punch and kick and behave like we are fighting off an army of ninjas in Kill Bill Volume II. We are strong and empowered.

At the end of the hour we pick up our car keys and slowly transform back into the Soccer Mom on our walks back to our SUV's. By the time we get to preschool for the afternoon pickup we are worrying about what is for dinner, fretting about laundry and wondering how all 3 kids are getting to all three sports tonight. Only...we do it a little tougher...

16 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you get to take those classes. Being able to defend yourself gives a greater sense of peace of mind I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here for more SITS action! :p Classes like that are great because you can rid yourself of aggression and stress, work out, learn a skill - and in teh end your superheroine alter ego can kick butt! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the little bit of kickboxing that was included in an exercise class I took at Fitworks. It's fun and it does help you to relax your brain for awhile.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, this is great transformation I've always wanted to try kick boxing but never made it. the physical benefits are great and from you description the psychological and self esteem benefits are even greater

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take a water aerobics class, and I enjoy getting to be pushed by someone else. I too easily stop pushing myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did kickboxing for awhile, so I can testify -- you're right, you ARE a badass! :-)

    I'm glad you can take some of the power you feel in those morning sessions into the rest of the day. Almost makes me want to get up early and do it, too.

    Almost. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started taking a boxing class at my gym and I love it...I looked around last week and discovered the same thing you did...here are all these people who look cute and sweet punching the CRAP out of the air with fire in their eyes.

    Women? We rock.

    Oh - and I'm here from SITS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kerri from SITS...
    LOVE the kickboxing idea! Especially when I picture this adorable little soccer mom kicking some serious ninja butt!
    Happy SITS day once again!
    Kerri
    www.sickofmg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea!!! I am a kickboxer woman too! 63 and still kickin'. Love it! Happy SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so awesome! It's important to kick bum at least in one area of our lives...

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am actually a part time personal trainer and instructor for exercise classes. I love to kickbox for the exact reasons you state. I will have to remember the "we hate cheerleaders" mantra! TOO FUNNY!

    Annie @astonesthrowfrominsanity

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny! This sounds like fun, I've always wanted to be a ninja warrior...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great! I bet it's a good stress release.
    Happy SITS Day
    ***Ally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! If only more women would take a class like this. It is very empowering. We are signing our 4 year old up for Taw Kwon Do. Control. Discipline. And skills to kick any boys butt who tries to mess with her. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Years ago I went to a boxing gym and started taking kickboxing classes. This was after being mugged at gunpoint. It was so hard for my to get out of the house and do anything, but for the hour that I was in that class I felt free because I was so focused. It's not like I would be able to fend off a gun, but it made me feel that if there was no gun involved I could definitely take care of business.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeay!! Oh, I miss my TurboKick class something awful! Enjoy it and kick some A$$ for me!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work