header

header

9.01.2008

Pan Seared Pork Chops with Quick Apple Chutney

Did you know it's tradition to eat pork on New Year's Day? It makes for good luck all year, and even if it's not true WHO want's to tempt fate???

Here is an easy, beautiful pork dinner originally published last September. Wishing you health and happiness in the New Year!


It's time to begin to cook real meals again. The weather is getting a little cooler and it's getting dark earlier and it makes you want to tuck into a great meal with lots of flavor. It's still football season, so it needs to be quick!

This recipe is inspired by my Cook's Illustrated Steaks, Chops, Roasts, and Ribs Cookbook. My dad calls me a "springboard cook", I can never make something exactly as written and I've included my changes here. I can say that nothing in any of my Cook's Illustrated recipes has ever steered me wrong.

I started by brining my chops (soaking them in a solution of 6 cups of water mixed with 1/2 cup kosher salt and 3/4 cup of brown sugar for 1 hour)

Rinse and pat dry, then sear on each side for 3 mins. Place into a preheated 450 degree oven for 8-10 mins and get to work on your chutney in the same pan:

1 Tbsp. oil
1 small onion, diced
2 granny smith apples, diced
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I used this combo instead of using ginger and all spice as the recipe recommends)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple juice

Heat oil in skillet and cook apples and onions for about 10 mins. Add spices and cook 1 min. Add sugar and cider and bring to a boil, scraping bits from bottom of pan, until cider is reduced and slightly thickened (about 4 minutes). Serve over chops. Mmmmmm....

To learn more about Cook's Illustrated magazine or cookbooks just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work