header

header

12.16.2008

Soul Sisters Christmas Party is Around the Corner!

Remember when I told you about the Christmas Party we have planned? Well, it's this week! On Friday morning, my girls are going to gather for some yummy food and and drinks and we will exchange our gifts. Now, remember, everything had to be handmade and the dollar limit was $10. I can hardly wait to see what everyone comes up with!

I am still working on mine after the crazy week I've had getting my orders out, but I think it's going to work out. I can't wait to post photos of the booty!

Helper Munchkin helped me bake yesterday and this is the scene I walked into when I left the room for a minute:


We baked the cutouts and the boys all decorated after dinner. Just put down some paper and let them drizzle,


the cookies come out all marbled and beautiful!


Okay, onward...did you go shopping yet? I have my first Christmas cookie recipe for you:

Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 large egg
4 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions: Mix flour salt and baking powder. In a separate large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy, gradually beat in sugar, then egg and poppy seeds, zest and extracts. Gradually mix in dry ingredients. Gather dough into a ball and divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill for at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease two large baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.

On a floured surface, roll out a dough disk to 1/8 inch thickness. Use a 2-3 inch round cookie cutter (or the bottom of a small glass) to cut out cookies. Arrange on the prepared baking sheets, 1 inch apart. Gather the scraps and re-roll to make more cookies.

Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to turn brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

To Make Filling
Beat all the filling ingredients together until light and fluffy. Spread about 2 teaspoons of filling on the bottom of one cookie and press another cookie, bottom side down, onto the filling. Chill until ready to serve. Try to assemble the cookies as near to the time when you will be eating them as possible. Extended time in the refrigerator will make them lose their crispness (but I like them soft...so I leave them out!!)


I cut them with a tiny star cutter (about 1 1/2 inch) then piped in the filling and gently set the second star on top at an angle to show off the filling. So pretty!


Finally, don't forget about my charity auction for one of my 20x20 inch Memory Frames. You can bid here!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I hope you and your family have a fun time. Great pictures of the cookies and the boys look like they're concentrating so hard on making cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh.....yummy looking cookies....I didn't get my supplies....I know mine wouldn't turn out....but maybe I can try one Friday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be down to the wire for me and my my homemade gift! Can't wait for the party - it's been a crazy week here too! The cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work