header

header

2.23.2009

Quick Scarf Tutorial

I saw this idea on Craft Stylish and promptly marched out the door to purchase fleece. I made a 15 minute version, but the original had lots of cool embroidery that took it up a notch. If I wasn't so into instant gratification I'd do it up like the original. But, as it is, I have three kids running around, laundry to fold, dinner to make, a dog dragging her butt on the carpet, and frames to paint. So, here is the quick version.

Here is your list of supplies:

1/2 yard fleece
sewing machine
scissors
paper
string
pencil
embroidery thread
needle


I started with a 12x12 inch square of paper (Why do I always use this same brown paper for projects, you ask? It's the scraps of the paper left over from making the dust covers for the back of my frames. Recycle. Reuse. Repurpose. Yeah.)

Anyway, do your string/pencil thing you learned in school to make a circle. (I would be holding the end of the string down at the point, but someone had to hold the camera.)



Cut out your circle then make a smaller circle about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in from the corner and cut out the center.

See? You get a paper donut for a pattern that you will pin to the fleece. I have my fleece doubled to save cuts.

This way I end up with 4 circles with 2 cuts (No, I don't think you're dumb, I'm just trying to be a good teacher.)
Now cut one side of the donut to open up the circle. I forgot to take a picture.

Put the edges together, following the curve, and sew side-by-side with a zig zag stitch on your machine. This will help your scarf lay flat even though you are piecing it together.

See how it falls when it's sewn? It makes that cool ruffle you sometimes see on blouses. I think this ruffle looks mysterious, but it is so easy to create!

Okay, you will need some ordinary embroidery thread. I like to combine unexpected colors like green and orange, but do your thang.

Sew a quick blanket stitch around the edge. (I would have done the inside and outside edge, but the phone was ringing and I was trying to help Helper Munchkin write an apology letter to his teacher for picking up another student during story time...but I digress)

Ta Da! Now, an observation... this shirt and scarf don't match. (Did I really need to tell you that?)


DIY Day @ ASPTL

33 comments:

  1. Oh that's cute! And my daughter would actually have the attention span for complete the project!
    Thanks. I'm going to check out the embroidery on the other site you linked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this idea :) Adorable! I'm going to make a mini one for my little fire cracker. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute Ms. Juniper!!!!...I may even have the stuff to make one down in my soon to be re-named craft room!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice scarf. I like how it flows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww... That is way cute! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! I had no idea you could make ruffles with fleece like that. I really love this project, and you are a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gonna have to try this! Maybe the girls will help me make these for presents! I have some pinkish fleece that never got used ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really pretty, Jennifer!! :) A nice Christmas gift for sure. Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute, cute! Love the scarf - love the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! This is the second fleece scarf tutorial I've seen today. Hmmm...I just may need to make a trip to the fabric store!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great and one of those things you might see and never figure out how to make (unless a nice blogger writes a tutorial!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it - so curvy and fun. Even with my inadequate sewing skills I might be able to pull this off. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute, love it, and so delightfully easy. I need an easy project once in a while and this would do the trick nicely, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have zero sewing ability, but I'm thinking I might be able to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out so cute! You're right, the ruffle does seem a little mysterious and I would have never realized it was that simple. I think I may even be able to accomplish this! Thanks for the tutorial. Have a good day...

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a scarf wearer, but might be convinced otherwise - this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how it ruffles, it's like magic! Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super Cute! I love scarves and yours is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love love LOVE this!!! I am going to make one for sure!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so cute! I love the orange and green together, great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hm, wonder how it would work with other fabrics ;) I may try and report back.
    Thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love things that even I can do! This is adorable! You used really nice colors too! Very cute..now I want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great post and diy! i am working on a fall scarf myself! can't wait to see more of your projects

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is neat! I wonder if I could make it with an old t-shirt or sweatshirt that I want to repurpose? I think I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is really cute. What size circle do you think you would need for a child? My daughter would love this and they make fleece in such cool patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work