header

header

4.21.2009

Tutorial Tuesday - Cute Reversible Apron



The Soul Sisters are gathering in the morning for coffee, Jamie Oliver's Asparagus Potato Tart, and apron making! Get your things together and join us! (I apologize for the crappy photos, the light is terrible on this cold, rainy spring Pittsburgh day)

We saw a cute apron similar to this the last time we were together on Blissful Living (we stalk that thing, we want to go there and be their friends!), and decided to make a morning of it the next time we came together.



Supplies:

Fabric Scraps
Various Trims
Sewing machine
Iron
Needle and Thread
Scissors


We have decided to all get together and pool our scraps, to mix it up a little. I think most people can make this apron with the extra fabric and trim they have on hand. If you need something, consider getting some fat quarters in the quilting section ($1.49 at JoAnn's). Joann's also has trim on sale this week for .50-.97 cents/yard.


Cut your fabric into strips of various widths and press.

Sew, right sides together, to form a patchwork. The dimensions should be 27 inches x 21 inches for your panel. You can measure and cut to size after you piece your scraps together.

Press everything flat.

Here are my two 27 x 21 inch panels, remember, it's reversible!

Measure 14 inches from the top of the fabric panels, fold then press. Now bring the pressed fold up until it is 3 inches from the top of the apron panel, forming a deep pocket. You will do this with both panels. Pin to hold.

See? Now press.

Now, place the two panels right sides together and pin.

Mark three inches down from the top. This will remain unsewn to allow you to turn the apron right side out and also give you a spot to attach your apron ties.



Sew the two panels together, careful not to sew shut the 3 inch spaces you marked!

Pull the panels right side out through one of the openings you left unsewn, then press.
You can then sew down the center of the pocket to form two pockets


Let's make the apron ties. Cut a length of fabric 6 1/2 x 20 inches. Fold the fabric in half length-wise and sew, leaving one end open.

Pull the tube right side out through the open end and press.

Slide the open end into the unsewn spaces in the apron. Pin and sew, topstitching the ties in place.


Here is one side of the apron. Let's embellish it with the trims. I have a friend that calls me "the queen of random", I do random well. Mix it up with unexpected combos of fabric and trim. Don't be too matchy matchy.

Hand stitch your trims...

The reverse is yellow with a band of teal at the bottom, but I've lost all light for a proper photo. I will post the fun with the girls tomorrow to give you lots of great ideas and inspiration!

15 comments:

  1. Girly!!! I can hardly wait!!! I loaded Bessie and my supplies into my van last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tutorial! Thanks for commenting on my muse post, some of the products of her inspiration have been posted. Now I have to go borrow yours, and make another apron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This apron is too cute! And what a great tutorial you put together.. I like ur idea of pooling ur supplies with friends.. Everybody goes home with a work of art..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm totally going to try this! Did I ever mention what a crappy seamstress I am? But you made this look easy, and cute to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the trims! So cute! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is flippen awesome!!

    have a blast with the girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I just found your blog this morning via whipup and I like it very much, lots of great ideas and photos and fun and music. Thanks so much!

    I don't know why, but I'm in a pinnie-making mood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your tutorial (also linking it on my blog)
    great site and be back checking on you.
    Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
    ginger
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I really want to learn how to use my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! you have renewed my hope in making an apron (I had tried previously and failed miserably but I am going to use your idea and try again) Thanks for the great idea

    http://ehaggins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the help!
    Great tutorial!
    Mine turned out great... I just posted a review of your tutorial and my results.

    http://ritablogandtryit.blogspot.com/2009/08/simple-girly-apron.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great tut! I am so going to make a couple of these, maybe give them as gifts for Christmas! I am following you now whereever you craft!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work