header

header

11.02.2009

How to Slipcover a Chair - Tutorial Tuesday

Well, I tried it! I read all your blogs, I watched Rhoda's Gram show me what to do in a series of videos, and dived right in ... well, I bought my fabric in July, so I kind of waded in slowly...

I made several mistakes, but for my first try I learned a lot and it's doable. Using what I've learned, I may try it once more in a few months when I tire of this fabric.

Here is the chair:




Good construction and quality, good price (free), but ugly, dated fabric that matched nothing in my living room. The couch is navy brocade with a burgundy and green stripe and a tiny gold pinstripe. (I hate the couch, but it's like brand new so I have to work with it).




I chose an inexpensive fabric in the clearance aisle at JoAnn's ($5.00! Woot!) and laid out pieces of the fabric in approximate sizes onto the chair.

I did Gram Eleanor's pull and pin, and cut and pin, and tuck and pin method until I had the entire chair covered, inside-out. Like this:




Then, I slid the cover off and sewed the seams and turned it right side out and slipped it back on. Some spots required hand stitching after the cover was in place because of the arms.




I see some puckers and some uneven-ness in spots I don't like, but over all it's an improvement. I think a whole cover that didn't require cutting out the arms would have been easier for my first attempt, but I'm happy with it for now and have learned from my mistakes enough to attempt it again in the future.

My advice? Get some inexpensive fabric (lots of my bloggy friends use drop cloths from Hope Depot), start laying out and pinning and cutting and just be brave! It's a lot easier to be brave with $5 fabric than $50 fabric. Get the hang of it with the cheap stuff, than graduate to something more expensive.

Next time, I will leave myself more wiggle room in the pieces I use. I cut some a little too close because I started out trying to make a pattern. And, I might just cover the arms. It's just so tricky to get those things out and about!

Good luck! Hop on over to Kimba's place to see lots more DIY fun through the magic button below:


DIY Day @ ASPTL


.

36 comments:

  1. You did a great job on this, especially for your first one! It has so much more personality now. I like the little skirt you added, too!

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing!!

    What will you tackle next?

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slipcover! Mine almost always have some funny spots, but it's a slipcover. If you want something perfect you shell out the big bucks to have it reuholstered. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! :) I can't sew worth a dime, so I think it's a masterpiece! :)

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed. It looks great and is SO much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did great! :) I've been too scared to try a slip cover yet. Maybe one day. :) Love the little pleats too. Stopping by from Kimba's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think it looka great! by the way...when you were describing the couch i TOTALLY knew what it was going to look like because i used to have the same one. mine was a hand me down from my mom that i did not love but it held up so well and lasted forever! so, i hate to break it to you, but if it's the exact same couch, you may have to live with a couch you hate forever! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No really...a slipcover. My brain can not even begin...to compute. Ouch! You rock! Come on by sometime...Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chair looks terrific. I think I could handle your Gram's "pull and pin, and cut and pin, and tuck and pin method." The drop cloth is a great suggestion. No huge loss if it doesn't come out, and it would look nice if it does work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love the little skirt you put on it - super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! The skirt just really makes it. I'm always amazed to view slipcovers. They appear so intricate!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I commend you on showing us your first job. I can't believe what this looks like for the first time around. You're amazing. Stop by and visit; if you like what you see, don't forget to click the "Follow" button.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go Miss!!!! Maybe the sofa from the GW next??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job! I slipcovered exactly one chair in my life and there was lots and lots of drama involved.

    Good tip about using drop cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it!! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Popped over from Kimba's DIY. You did a great job. Hey, at least you attempted it. I purchased a dropcloth back in July and wanted to attempt slipcovering my wingchair, but have been too chicken....well, actually, been reading the two books I have to help me slipcover it..and also have been too chicken. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am way too chicken to attempt something like this. I'm still working on trying to sew a straight line. It looks fabulous. You should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a fabulous job! Indeed tricky with those great arms. I have two chairs in our livingroom that I am slipcovering in white denim (half way finished) using the same pin/tuck/pin method. Not perfect but I think it looks great and a neighbour asked where I had the covers made.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great! I need to learn to sew one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The little skirt on it is adorable! I love it! You did a fantastic job. I am too scared to even try! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks really good....I'm gonna be trying that method for making a slip for my couch. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great job! I like your method too. I have done slipcovers before but I have never tried that inside out pinning on before. I am supposed to go help do a couple more slipcovers on Thursday so this idea might come in handy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great job jennifer--I need to tackle some pieces

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  24. Truly, it's amazing how much of a difference they'll make in the long term with your furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  25. it's absolutely adorable! thanks for playing along! i love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You did an amazing job on your chair slip. The tutorial is super, tutorials are harder then the actual project to me.
    I rarely get comments, HA! That's ok, I still love blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did an amazing job on your chair slip. The tutorial is super, tutorials are harder then the actual project to me.
    I rarely get comments, HA! That's ok, I still love blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks darn good to me! I admire your courage to take on making a slipcover, especially for your first try, on this style chair. I wish I could muster up your courage because I'd like to try it but I've never had much patience with sewing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Makes me want to try more slipcovers but on smaller chairs like this. I just did a huge chair.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the slip and the color...Just too beautiful for words...Great job, my friend...Meme

    Thank you for stopping in to Screaming Meme and looking at my girls...I mean slipcovers...:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a good job. I've got the couch, I've even made a pattern out of muslin, now I've just got to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You did a wonderful job. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work