header

header

2.01.2010

Snow Day Pillow Fort - Tutorial Tuesday


What to do with an energetic 6 year old Helper Munchkin (with a "boo-boo") in the dead of winter? This idea from Garden Nymph takes the ordinary pillow fort to the next level. Piled with pillows, stuffed animals, and blankets and strung with lights - this secret fort is magical and cozy.

Take a peek inside...if you know the secret password, that is.

Helper Munchkin waiting for the surprise

A simple blanket-covered dining room table? I think not!


Inside is a magical fort! A great place for a surprise lunchtime picnic.



We dug out our patio lights. They are easily attached by winding the cord around the table legs and across the center.

The glow is magical and sets this pillow fort apart. Supervise while the lights are on, you know I'm Miss Fire Safety now!





Some lunch, a cuddle with the pup, a few games, a movie on the portable DVD...a pretty nice afternoon into the evening.

**Note: This originally posted in January of 2009, almost a year to the day of Munchkins last major injury. So, in honor of this January's ER trip for staples, I re-post the Snow Day Pillow Fort. Also, because I sorely miss my afternoons with the Munchkin planning fun activities like this. 1st grade sucks up all his days now...so sad...**

.

19 comments:

  1. You are such a fun mama! Love it! My mom used to hang all of our clothes on a line to dry...we were WAY old school and rural. Anyway, she would take big blankets and extra sheets, drape them over one section of the line and put bricks on the bottoms to keep them in place for our "forts". We used clothes pins to secure other little blankets to make doors. Kept us busy during her mommy chores. Ahhhhh....the good ol' days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lights idea! I might have to do this tomorrow...there was some serious momma meltdown going on today that I should prob make up for;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! I have to keep this in mind for when I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous. That fort makes all the forts I made when I was a kid to shame. Since I'm a big kid now, I'll replicate yours.

    -Paul

    http://www.mostlygrocery.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is WAY better than anything i ever came up with as a kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun- I don't want to send my little one to school next year and have her days and our time together sucked up too. You asked on my blog awhile back how to make snow icecream. I posted some 'directions' yesterday. http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2010/02/snow-ice-cream.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of your first posts that I ever saw - and it's still one of my all-time favs! Sheer brilliance! You know how much I adore special childhood spaces, and this is truly magical in every way!

    Well done, mom!

    Judy@cutest-little-things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow forts. I remember those. Good memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had done blanket forts with my kids, but you took this up a notch, or even more!
    This made for a special day and when he is older he will recall how much fun and share this with his kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, that post with the cuddle pup is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My little guy wants to know if he can come over to your house and play. :)
    And I did some googling yesterday and did you get any eating accomplished at dinner the other night, because I think I would had been staring and drooling the entire time! Not only is your husband jealous, I AM TOO! I think I found a new BF ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute little website you have yourself! I'm def a follower! The inspiration is mind blowing, got the button!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool...as a child we would make the bottom bunk bed the fort...worked like a charm. Great memories..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer~ I had to tell you what wonderful memories this post brought back to me. My boys loved building forts when they were little. They'd eat, sleep and play for days in theirs. Each day they'd add something new...pillows, blankets, toys. It was sooo much fun.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! Don't tell my toddler--she's still thrilled with the house that I made for her out of a giant Amazon box :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so funny, I do the same thing with my 3 kids. I never added the hanging lights. This weekend we will be snow bound so I will definately plan this and add the lights. Glad you posted this.
    Carey

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work