header

header

2.11.2010

Valentine's Lunchables for your Munchkins



Do your kids beg for "Lunchables" every time you go the the grocery store...or is it just mine? Here is a tutorial to make your own. For this holiday treat we went with junk food, but for an everyday lunch you can boost the health factor by using ham, whole wheat goldfish, grapes and chocolate milk.

You will need:

A clean disposable sushi tray or an old Lunchables tray
A small cookie cutter measuring between 1-2" (this heart shaped cutter came in a great set from Pampered Chef packaged in a silver tin)
Cheese
Lunch meat
Crackers
Juice box

Cut the meat and cheese into the desired shape with the cookie cutter.

Now, stack them up to look like they do in the lunchables container and arrange in the tray. Fit the juice box on one side and pile up your crackers and cookies. My son isn't convinced unless there is a small piece of candy tucked in someplace.

Use the leftovers to make a Mom "heartwich" and there is no waste!

Set them loose to create little heart-y concoctions...

Using the sushi tray with the lid, this can be packed in a lunchbox for a sweet surprise. If you do this, you should pack the crackers and cookies into small snack-sized baggies.

You can even type the brand name "Heartables" or "Loveables" and tape it to the lid. Happy Valentine's Day!


*** Originally posted in February 2008. Happy Valentine's Day!
DIY Day @ ASPTL

.

19 comments:

  1. That is sweet! My boys beg for lunchables too...then 2 min later they're hungry again...err! Love that you can health it up a bit. Anything's special when it comes in a little plastic tray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brilliant!!! I wish I came up with creative, inventive ideas like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. think I will make one of these lunches for my Fed Agent hubby and wait for the noontime phone call! I love surprising him with a sprinkle of embarrassment thrown in for good measure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable way to show some "luv" to your boys!

    With 2 girls and then a boy, we are learning what it means to have some testosterone around the house..... In 36 hours, the little man surfed on the dishwasher door, wrote all over and I mean all over the walls with a crayola marker, and attempted to cut his own hair. Yes, in 36 hours. And he turns 2 tomorrow.

    Gotta love the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to cut the meat and cheese into squares and my daughter loved it. I love the idea of using cookie cutters. Very cool. I hate the high sodium in those lunchables. I never buy them for my kids....mean mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Yeah I think the kids like the idea of lunchables more than the actual products - taste factor is not high on those things! Just goes to show how the simple things we do can produce happiness! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh that's a fantastic idea! I love lunchables too >_<

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! My kids will thank you tomorrow... Filed this at thecraftersfilebox.com.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep! We do that, too! :)

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that saves those sushi trays. Hee! Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet... why is lunchables are so appealing? Is it the little tray?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very simple and clever idea! My kids always want the lunchables, but like so many others.... I hardly ever purchase them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My five year old will definately LOVE this Valentine idea! He'll jump for joy using the cookie cutter on the meat and cheese too-Cool beans!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just wondering....why don't you just buy the lunchable?!?

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're expensive, Anonymous! Also, I don't always have them on hand when I want to make a fun treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome idea! So glad I can make a Valentiney lunch this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting story as for me. I'd like to read a bit more about this theme. Thanks for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! I hate buying them at the store. My kids beg, then don't even eat them all because they are gross! At least this way you can "personalize" them for each kid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was thinking about you yesterday as the boys were BEGGING for Lunchables at the store. I caved (they were on sale), but it bugged the snot out of me to spend $2.00 on about 15 cents worth of food.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work