Sometimes you just want a little spruce up once in awhile that doesn't take a lot of money or time. Spring has me all gah-gah over the whiteness of everything in the design mags. Was I ready to take a leap from my warm tans and jewel tones yet? Could I do it under $200? Here is my bedroom, before, all warm and cozy - Tan, black, red, and gold:
The comforter just didn't hold up well and was getting lumpy. The curtains were too short and stuck onto the window as an afterthought. My night stand was too tall and too small to be functional, and the love seat matched nothing and was purchased 10 years ago because it was cheap and I needed someplace to sit and nurse babies.
I decided not to paint, and started with in the easiest and most obvious spot, new bedding. I tried to go all white - I really did! But it just was too bland for my taste. I couldn't get the hang of making it interesting with textures, so I ended up with this tan and white quilt:
I loved that it was quilted and wouldn't allow the batting to ball up over time, and I still got a mostly white look by folding it neatly at the end of the bed over a textured blanket.
I added some shams and throw pillows and kept the bed skirt to add a punch of color and match the curtains I had plans for. The bed was complete for under $100! Oh, one tip: I have a queen sized bed, but purchased a king sized quilt to get a generous hang on the sides. I hate skimpy bed covers! (Do you love this quilt? They had lots of them last week at my TJ Maxx).
Next, I decided to rework the curtains I already had since I wanted to incorporate more of the red I'd used by saving the bed skirt. I decided these windows were too small for a long curtain and cut them into a Reversible Window Valance using a bit of tan for the contrasting color. Since I only had to purchase about 2 yards of new material, the "new" curtains cost about $10 and let in more light.
I found this Country Living brand night stand in the same red at TJ Maxx (with a little scratch in the top) for $30! Sold!
And then I did a little of this...
And ended up with this:
I covered the throw pillows with leftover curtain fabrics and added some of a clearance floral I've been saving in my stash for about a year. I'm so glad I finally got to use it! $50 worth of fabric (11 yards of cotton duck) got me a new love seat that is a blank pallet I can pretty up any way I want to.
There is only one thing missing...art for over the bed! Well, you'll just have to come back on Monday to see the finished room, complete with art.
Come on back tomorrow for Feedback Friday and I'll see you Saturday for my Tutorial Tuesday wrap up. Be there, or be square!