header

header

5.02.2011

Let's Make Bread!


My friend Marzipan has created a monster. A slab of warm bread slathered with melting butter eating monster. And I have the thighs to prove it!

This is what she did, she posted a recipe for dinner rolls on her blog and once I tried it I never looked back. I'm shameless, I bake bread and take warm slices to the bus stop to ask for critiques... I make my son's friends come inside to admire my latest loaf... I dream about bread at night...Misery loves company, so I thought I'd share the recipe! Oh, you're welcome...

Aunt Marie's Dinner Rolls
(adapted slightly from Sortachef at woodfiredkitchen.com)

Makes 32 rolls

4 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided into two equal parts
1 cup milk
5 1/2 tablespoons salted butter, plus more for pan
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ teaspoons of salt
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) of quick rise yeast (Rapid Rise and Perfect Rise are two types)
1 cup warm water (100°)
About ½ cup or more additional flour for kneading
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with a little water) for brushing on top of rolls

1.Heat one cup of milk in a medium saucepan until it’s hot but not boiling. Add the sugar, 5 1/2 tablespoons of butter and salt. Let the milk cool for a few minutes while the butter melts.

2. Pour the milk mixture into the mixing bowl, making sure to get all the sugar from the bottom as well. Add a cup of warm water, 2 ¼ cups of flour and sprinkle on the quick rise yeast. Attach the flat beater, and beat on medium speed for 4 or 5 minutes, until you have a smooth batter with no lumps. Scrape the bowl as necessary.

3. Now add another 2¼ cups flour, switch to the dough hook and beat for a further 5 minutes on medium low speed. The dough is ready for hand kneading once all the flour is fully incorporated and the dough is smooth and stretchy.

4. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Pull the edges of the dough in toward the center like an envelope, using the dough scraper at first and then your fingers as the dough gets less sticky. Continue kneading, constantly pulling and then pushing down on the center with your palms, adding a little flour as needed to prevent sticking. The dough should be tacky but not sticky. After a few minutes, you will feel the dough push back as the gluten develops. Knead for a minimum of 5 minutes altogether, and then form a ball.

5. Put the ball of dough into a bread bowl and let rise in a warm spot, lightly covered, for 45 minutes or until doubled in volume.

6. Coat the bottom and sides of a 10 x 15 inch lasagna pan with softened butter.

7. Spread the dough into a rough rectangle on a lightly floured surface and fold the rectangle in half. Spread out into a rough rectangle and fold in half again. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes and then spread it out into a rectangle the size of the lasagna pan. Put the dough into the lasagna pan and spread it out evenly.

8. Using a dough scraper, cut the dough into 32 small squares inside the pan. To do this, cut lengthwise in half, then in half again. Along the long side, cut the dough in half, then each of those halves in half and in half again to end up with an 8 x 4 grid. Picking up each of the small squares of dough in turn, stretch the top skin across and down, tucking it roughly under to make a small ball of dough. Put each piece back where it came from. No need to strive for perfection here: to do this to all the rolls should only take three or four minutes!

9. Let the rolls rise for 30 – 40 minutes in a warm spot, until at least doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 350° when the rolls are nearly risen. Just before baking, lightly brush a little of the egg wash on top of the rolls with a pastry brush.

10. Bake for 20 minutes at 350° or until they’re lightly browned on the top and the internal temperature is 195-200 degrees F. Allow to cool until just warm before serving. (fyi - I have never taken the temperature of my bread, I just bake until golden)

*** So, this is what I do - I split my dough in half and make 16 dinner rolls in a 9x9 inch pan for Sunday dinner and use the rest of the dough to make a loaf for the week!



I just put in in a buttered loaf pan at the same time as the rolls to let it rise, then put it in the oven for 40 minutes. Now I have bread for toast for breakfast!

Are you afraid of making bread? You're intimidated by kneading the dough, aren't you? Watch this video to learn the basic technique:



Check out Mangia Mondays for more great recipes!

Come back tomorrow to Teach Me Stuff for my Tuesday linky party!
.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my. My thighs are thanking my daughter for being gluten-free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling.....I love homemade bread!

    Nothing beats that wonderful aroma of bread baking in the oven.

    janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're killing Me! On Day 3 of no grains!!! Those rolls are just calling out--baaaaake me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of making half into rolls and half into bread! And your rolls and bread look perfect! The last time I made these, I substituted about a half cup of the flour with whole wheat flour for a little speckle of color and nutrition. I'd bet you could even add a bit more than that without altering the taste too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy TOLEDO that looks delicious! I'm a carbaholic anyway, yeesh! I recently bought a large bag of organic whole wheat flour to try to make bread with - would it work the same? Of course white bread rolls taste sooooooo much yummier (did I just make that up?). Thanks for the detailed recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe: I will try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an evil, evil woman. I gained 5 lbs just looking that those pictures.

    Looks like we'll be having homemade rolls with dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!!! I love bread hot out of the oven slathered with butter. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am intimidated by kneading so thanks for the video too. My thighs do not thank you but my mouth does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing, NOTHING, like warm bread with butter!!!! Have mercy!
    Link up to Mangia Mondays if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mouth is watering looking at this delicious bread! I may just make some tonight! I am a new follower. I invite you to visit my blog.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, for REALS everyboday...these dinner rolls are AMAZING!! Marzipan got me hooked on them a few weeks ago....I just stand there and eat one after another slathered in butter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...nothing beats fresh, homemade bread straight from the oven!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work