header

header

2.06.2012

Homemade Pop Tarts



I have had it in the back of my mind to attempt to make Pop Tarts for almost a year. Saucy Sprinkles made some bite sized ones for her daughter's cheer team and since it was before Pinterest, I've just had it saved in my bookmarks all this time. Imagine that!

Saucy made real pastry crust, and I would have too, if I didn't have one lonely leftover roll of ready-made dough sitting in my fridge. Let's make some...

Homemade Pop Tarts!

Ingredients:

Pastry crust (I used Pillsbury)
Jam
Egg wash
Icing
(I just stirred together a quick confectioner's sugar and milk icing)

Roll out your pastry crust and cut even rectangles. I used a paper template and a bench scraper to cut my dough. I was able to make 3 large pop tarts and 4 mini sized from one roll of prepared pie crust.



Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and spoon a teaspoon of jam in the center of the dough.



Wet the edges of the dough using your finger, and place a second rectangle of dough on top.

Crimp the edges, using a fork.



Poke a few holes in the top to allow gasses to escape during baking, and brush with an egg wash.



Bake 425 degrees for about 7-9 minutes.



Let cool and mix up some quick icing for on top, if you want it a little sweeter!



My kids came home from school and said "Did you make us Pop Tarts?!?" then I heard "Mmmm...good!"

I think the egg wash made them a bit more like Toaster Strudels. For a more "dry" Pop Tart look, I would probably skip the egg wash.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Those look even better than the boxed ones! I so love ready made pie crust - but don't tell my mother who thinks homemade is best. Sometimes, a shortcut to homemade is what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. My kids are always wanting poptarts, but they just have so much sugar. I like with this that you could use the SF jam and cut down on some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pop tarts look great! I'll have to try making some, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So my kids only like the brown sugar cinnamon ones..... how do you think I could go about that? Although maybe they would like jam ones if they were homemade.....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! Those sound amazing! I loved pop tarts as a kiddo! I like the toaster strudel ones too though... I might prefer that method.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work