Caramel Apples From Scratch
We have always made caramel apples by melting those little square caramel candies. This year we were determined to make our caramel from scratch! Sounds tricky? I think it was actually easier!
I found our recipe in Taste of Home and we didn't even have a candy thermometer! If you don't have a thermometer, check out this Science of Candy article.
Carnival Caramel Apples
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 to 12 Popsicle sticks
- 10 to 12 medium tart apples, washed and dried
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter; add the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Insert Popsicle sticks into apples. Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat. Dip bottom of apples into peanuts, chocolate chips, crushed candies... Place on greased waxed paper until set. Yield: 10-12 apples.