GIANT Buffalo Wings
My favorite part of the wing is the meaty mini-drumstick side - we all fight over those little morsels! Why not just make "wings" with full sized drumsticks?!?
*An added benefit is the fat content - 1 small chicken wing contains 81 calories and 5.4 g of fat vs. 1 small chicken drumsticks contains 81 calories and 4.2 g fat (source). More food! Less fat! I'm in!
Let's make GIANT Buffalo Wings!
(recipe adapted from About.com, Southern Food)
- 2 to 3 pounds chicken legs, about 10 to 12 drumsticks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used about 1 or 2 Tbsp.)
- 3 cloves garlic, put through a press or finely minced
- 3/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Red hot or Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Line a large baking pan with foil and place a cooling rack in the pan.
Toss chicken with the olive oil and minced garlic. Arrange on the rack and bake for 30 minutes (I cooked mine right on my stoneware pan)
Turn and bake for 20 minutes longer. Increase heat to 400° and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer, until nicely browned.
Combine the melted butter and hot sauce. Toss the hot drumsticks with the sauce mixture.
*I put them back in the oven again for about 5 mins. after this then brushed with sauce again before serving to really make it "stick".