header

header

4.30.2009

Homemade Oreos!



I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and they are delicious! I used the full amount of sugar and thought they were overly sweet, though. I noted in the recipe to reduce the sugar.

Homemade Oreos
Retro Desserts, Wayne Brachman

Makes 25 to 30 sandwich cookies

For the chocolate wafers:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar [I recommend going with 1 cup)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.

2. In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.

3. Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.

4. To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.

5. To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag (or squeeze it through the snipped corner of a ziploc baggie) with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.


Mmmmm, just begging for a glass of milk...

7 comments:

  1. YUM. But why are you tempting me with cookies this early in the morning?!


    Thank you so much for visiting me yesterday... I couldn't have wished for a better SITS day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these but with cream cheese frosting YUM... now I want some!!!!!!

    The Buzz,
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Yum.

    I'm trying to lose some weight before my sisters wedding but these could be the deal breaker. LOL

    Thank you SO much for stopping by on my SITS day last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look amazing! Totally making them to cheer up a bummed out friend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, hurt me! I can't wait to make these with Sam and my mom Sunday morning! we're celebrating her birthday and Mother's day. I just shared this post of Facebook. I've talked about making them for days now!

    don't laugh, but this will be the first time I've ever bought shortening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! We make cookies every Saturday night for church the next day...these will be this next Sunday's treat! Thanks!

    Sarah ***Visit my blog for a GIVEAWAY and new linking party!***
    http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-wednesday-party-link-up-giveway-too.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just wanted to let you know I featured this recipe tonight on my blog. There's an "I've Been Featured" button at the bottom right sidebar if you'd like to grab it for your blog.

    Thanks a lot!

    Sarah
    http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/09/yummy-pink-saturday.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work