header

header

11.11.2010

Cookie Decorating with Marzipan

Don't forget to enter to win some cute holiday outfits for your kiddos from My 2 Sugarplums!



My friend, Marzipan, makes some beautiful cookies for her home baking business and The Treat Girl wanted in on her secrets! So, a hands-on cookie decorating tutorial was born!

Treat Girl was already clued in on freezing her cut-out cookies before baking them, so she brought perfect cupcake shaped cookies for the weekend.

Marzipan shared her recipe for cookie icing:

Beaten Egg Beaters egg whites (beat to stiff peaks)
Milk
Powdered sugar (sifted)
Vanilla
Food coloring


She explained that the quantities need to be adjusted until the consistency is just right. Once mixed together, drag a spoon through the icing. The line should remain for 5-10 seconds when it is just right.



Then she demonstrated the "Push it with the back of a spoon technique". This is a favorite when you have perfectly shaped cookies like we had.



Then the "Pipe an outline then flood the center technique" using squeeze bottles to outline the shape. Let the outline dry then squeeze a colored frosting into the center of the outline, pushing it into place and popping bubbles with a toothpick.



Then we got a little fancy and she showed us how to make dots into hearts and lines into swirls and marbles by dragging a toothpick through wet icing.



The Treat Girl's and Marzipan's masterpieces:

6 comments:

  1. Great post! My youngest and I try to make cookies to decorate several times a year and I always love to find out new tips and tricks to help the process along ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! and then you got to eat cookies. I call that a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute!!!! I've always wanted to try icing like that, but haven't had the courage. ;)

    Hope you might stop by to enter my Stitch Sense Designs Giveaway today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try to work with marzipan too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great blog! i added your linky button to the bottom of my blog!
    bloggingbypictures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work