header

header

4.17.2008

These boots were made for walkin'...


Well, we knew this day would come someday, but it doesn't make it any easier. The time has come to retire "the boots"...sniff, sniff...


These cowboy boots came from a rodeo in San Antonio about 7 years ago for Munchkin #1 and were worn almost everyday until it was time to hand them down to Munchkin #2, and finally to Munchkin #3. Each one of my boys bore the nickname "The boy with the boots" at one time or another. I'm sorry to say, that I have no one else to pass them down to and they must retire.


These boots have seen so many things over the years. They have gone to preschool almost everyday with one or the other of my boys. They've played soccer, jumped in puddles, and been pushed high on the swings. They've been worn with sweatpants, jeans, camo. shorts, and, sometimes, no other clothing at all. They have had grubby boy feet in them, with and without socks. They've been full of sand, full of water (after being left in the rain) and full of goldfish crackers. We thought they were lost once, but they always found their way home again. These boots are a symbol of my children's young lives that is slowly slipping away.


They have been re-soled twice and re-heeled 3 times and they've stuck around through thick and thin (feet, that is). I hate to see them go because with them goes the chubby fingers, the infectious giggles, hugs around the neck, and sloppy kisses. I've already seen these things slip through my fingers like a stream of water. Those lovely days of toddler-hood and potty training, Cheerios and toy blocks. I miss those days already and they have barely passed.


I just can't part with the boots. They've been shined up and put in a place of honor on my fireplace, the focal point of our family room. I think it's a fitting reminder to cling to today because it will, too soon, be gone.


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. ohhh, those boots are so cute.
    at least you got a ton of use out of them. i love little boys in cowboy boots, they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...Awww...that reminds me of my middle sons' boot phase. He had a pair that he wore everywhere. With everything. My favorite memory is him running around in the summer wearing little red shorts and those boots.
    He grew out of them and for the life of me, I don't know what happened to them. Hopefully we passed them on to another child.
    Thanks for the memory:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go!! That is a really special touch! The boots look so darling there on your hearth--and what a wonderful reminder. Time really does fly; thank God for memories.

    Thank you so much for linking to my party! I really, really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, sniff sniff!! Make me cry, why don't ya?? ;) I LOVE that you are saving them and giving them a place of honor. I bet one day your boys will fight over who gets to have them. :) Thank you so much for your visit today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Richella's party! I love the boots and the story behind them. What a great idea to put them on display as a reminder everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How precious! Well, I am a Texas gal and usually don't call boots precious, But your story is! And that's what makes your house a home! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work