header

header

8.26.2009

DIY Thursday - Patchwork Wall Art (Ballard Designs Inspired)



I love the look of several things coming together to form one piece of art, mosaics and collages are among my favorites. These Ballard Design Patchwork Prints is a perfect example of this. Though they are now on sale for $169 (marked down from $199) they are still out of my price range ('cause I'm cheap thrifty).

I was able to work it out for just under $20. Want to know how? Come on, girl, let's make some Patchwork Wall Art!

Supplies:

8x8 inch wooden tiles (If you or someone you know is handy with tools, these can be cut from a pine board found at any building supply store)
Black acrylic paint
Mod Podge
Sponge brushes
Coordinating scrapbook papers
Thin plywood or MDF board
Wood Glue


The beautiful array of scrapbook papers available today really make this an easy project. If you don't trust yourself to coordinate papers, buy the paper sets that come pre-coordinated.



I started by cutting and sanding my 8x8 tiles (which actually measure 7 1/4; for some reason an 8 inch board isn't really a full 8 inches).

Paint the sides and edges of the front of the blocks with the black acrylic paint.

While this is drying, use your handy dandy paper cutter to cut squares of paper to fit the tiles.

Once dry, begin to decoupage the papers to the tiles.

Can we take a little break at this point for some decoupage tips? I've read that some of you have decoupage fears - bubbles, lumps, and creases, OH MY! Listen, this isn't rocket science, just follow the steps in the right order:

Apply decoupage medium to the wooden tile AND to the back of the paper (applying to both is important). Now, stick it and press all the bubbles out. Once you're happy with the placement LEAVE IT ALONE.

Just let it dry, go paint your nails, do a load of laundry, eat some lunch while reading People magazine, I don't care, just don't touch it now. DON'T paint more Mod Podge on top yet, this will wreck everything!

Is it dry? Are you sure? Okay, now go ahead and apply one or two coats of Mod Podge on top to seal it.



Let it dry again then dirty it up! Why dirty it up? Because I hate new looking things! I want it old, I want it grungy, I want it to look like I rescued it from the corner of an old barn! How do we do this? Take an old rag or your finger and apply some Burnt Umber acrylic paint to the edges. Now, wet the corner of the rag and smoosh it around. Play with it adding and taking away layers of paint, leaving the center lighter and edges darker, until you get a look you like. (like it clean looking? Just skip this part, ain't no big thang).



Now, this next part came about because I just couldn't resolve in my brain pounding 9 nails into my freshly painted walls. It just seemed so harsh! So, I cut out a thin piece of plywood or mdf a few inches smaller than the finished project (so, I used a board 18x18 inches) and used wood glue to attach all the tiles onto one base.

See? Now I can hang it with one nail, or lean it against the wall like I did here.



Accessorize it a bit, and voila! You have yourself a Ballard inspired piece of patchwork wall art to match YOUR decor! Yes! Oh, and enough change in your pocket for 4 pedicures! 3 lunches out! 140 beers for dollar beer happy hour! MMMMMWWWWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!



I'm participating in Kimba's party, but you knew that, right? You know the drill, click the button to be whisked off to the land of inspiration. Leave some comments for those ladies, they're workin' their little buns off over there!
DIY Day @ ASPTL

.

59 comments:

  1. Lovely! I really like your color choices. :) I think my problem with Mod Podge must have been that I didn't let it dry before doing a top layer. Oops! Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Like Really Cute! I am going to forward this on to a friend who is decorating their lake house on a tight budget! Thanks for the inspiration.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! Those scrapbooking papers just make beautiful art - I like it better than Ballards! Smart idea - I'm going to have to copy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blog, and great DIY project. I have spied something something similar here in town at the scrapbooking store. Your's looks much better though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Oh My....I think I'll head right back into the craft room, as I just happen to have everything "laying" around for a great project like this!! I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I love this idea. I want to do this for the wall behind my couch. I just can't decide what colors I want to use. I'll be doing it soon though. My wall is BARE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented. Love Love Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my stars, I LOVE this idea! Thank you so much for the great tutorial and the tips! I always had a problem with the wrinkling and bubbling, so I'm happy (in a chagrined sort of way) to learn how to avoid it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this! And thank you for the Mod Podge tips. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love decoupage! You did a beautiful job, I love your paper choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is awesome.
    I like your version better.
    And by a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good! I like the whole vignette together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just this week I made a deal with myself to finish switching over my master bathroom to coordinate with my not-so-new anymore blue and brown bedroom....I've been looking all summer for something to hang above my tub, but can't find anything the right size....bingo!!! This could be it!! Now I gotta work on getting me some wood tiles!! Thanks again for your fabulous inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Acccckkkkk! This is absolutely gorgeous. I've seen it in Ballards many times and wanted to re-create it, but never did. I'm lazy like that!

    Yours turned out FAB, and I love that you attached it to ONE big board on the back. GENIUS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the wall art!
    thanks for stopping by... actually, your ruffle-y goodness last week was my inspiration for the little ruffle dress... I hadn't ever tried out ruffles with tshirt material, but your gorgeous jcrew-y shirts convinced me that I needed to try it out! so thanks for the creative inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um, like totally gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pretty scrapbook papers. This is a great idea. Beautiful job!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen that same Ballard art piece and thought, "I could do that." I was stuck, however, on how to get the design or artwork for the squares. Scrapbook paper! Genius!! I may have hubby cutting squares this weekend. :) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! Super cute idea! And it looks pretty easy to do...I've been needing some wall art, and I love the pride in DIY projects...Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is quite wonderful - I'd love to post on my blog. Come see me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE it! Thanks for the tutorial - I'll be following it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen a lot people copy this idea and I love seeing it each time! Yours turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Visiting over from SITS and I LOVE Ballard Designs and love even more what you have done!

    I'm definitely bookmarking your blog because you have great ideas for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! I have a problem with leaving the mod podge alone it completely dries. And thanks for the tip about applying the mod podge to the back of the paper. Gotta try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's awesome! I came over from SITS and I'm glad I did! I'll be following from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! You make it look so simple. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, I'm coming over just as soon as I get my kids in school, and we're doing this together! I LOVE it, and I've been eyeing up the Ballard ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this! And especially the improv to one piece. I love to lean instead of hang. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your style!!! I can't wait to hop around the rest of your site!
    ~Andy @ poppiesatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. These have been on my To Do list for weeks now. Yours turned out fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i saw this once from someone else but the colors where much more muted, I love these warm colors!

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow u make this look so easy
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it! I keep meaning to do something like this because I have way more scrapbook paper then I will ever use.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! I've seen it done on canvases - but this would definitely be less expensive! And I'm guilty of not letting my Mod Podge completely dry, will show some patience in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ohh myyy and I just happen to have some tiles that I picked up at Target for $1.25 that are screaming for this idea!
    PS--thanks for the comments and I used the site:
    http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds
    that someone told me about a while back.
    Think I should update my blog with it?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. simple but elegant. great idea

    ReplyDelete
  37. I say would like to say, with my head held high...
    Until today, I was a mod-podge dummy!!! Thank you for the advice to just leave it alone. I ALWAYS got bubbles and now I know it's because I was just too impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I saw two similar projects on Craftster last night and I love these! With all the fun paper available, there is a style to fit virtually any decor.

    Rockin' cool. This is going into my bookmarks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Seriously cute! I now wanna make one but have no idea where to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, that makes a great impact for a little $$. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, I LOVE this one! Your instructions are great too. You are the tutorial queen!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Red House HappeningsAugust 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM

    I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  43. this is excellent! i'm doing it. visiting from asptl.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I see another Knock Out!!!
    Came over to get info on that video of pictures. I am finally at the point I can do that project. I have all new buttons on my page-tell me what you think and there is a button "I've been featured on Its So Very Cheri" that you can grab from the KNOCK OUT party favorite features.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  45. Brilliant. I'm seriously going to have to try this. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very pretty! I love that Ballard Design artwork too. I am always drawn to the art in their catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my gosh, this is such a wonderful idea. My idea of crafting is printing a card off the internet. But I think I can tackle this....

    ReplyDelete
  48. Brilliant web site, I had not noticed hopestudios.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
    Carry on the superb work!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work