header

header

3.08.2010

Chalkboard Coffee Cups - Tutorial Tuesdays



Do you have a bunch of random mugs you've picked up over the years? #1 Golfer? Pampered Chef? A mug from your granite company after you finished your kitchen? (Now, THAT'S random). Let's take a page from Kari at UCreate and make a matching set of Chalkboard Mugs that you can label with each person's name!

Supplies:

Random Mugs
Alcohol and cotton balls
Spray Primer
Painter's Tape
Blackboard Paint

Instructions:

Clean the surface of your mug well with an alcohol soaked cotton ball. Now tape off the logo like this (Tip: Use your fingernail along the edges to really get a good bond to avoid paint bleed through on the edges. I didn't know this little tidbit until AFTER I painted mine. So my edges aren't so crisp.) :



Now cover the remaining mug with a plastic bag and spray the open space with a primer meant for glass. I like this RustOleum Universal Primer you can use it on any surface!

Let dry then apply two coats of blackboard paint. Remove tape and voila! Your very own coordinated mugs that you can label with your names! ("M" and "D" is for Mom and Dad. Creative, I know.)


Wouldn't this be fun to have a slew of these mugs handy when you have a girl's coffee morning? Label all the mugs with silly names beforehand and let your friends figure out who is who!

Your turn for a weekly link up to win prizes will be coming on March 22nd. So start collecting tutorial ideas and be ready to link up!

30 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!! You could even pick up a couple mugs at a yard sale if you're worried about messing up nice ones. Love love love!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I see myself giving my son's teachers a coffee mug with their name on it. Thanks for the inspiration! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! As always you are leading the pack :)

    ~XOXO~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!!!!! I just did my first chalkboard project:

    http://themagicbrushinc.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-chalkboard-project.html

    But THAT is a great way to reuse ugly cups!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute miss!! I've been wanting to do something with chalkboard paint FOR.EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea...kind of like the red plastic party cups (back in my younger days) and a sharpie. Now if you can figure out a way to do with with wine glasses...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to submit this idea to the Daily Danny blog. He just did a thing about reusing mugs from Goodwill. This is fantastic.
    http://www.dailydanny.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! I hope the paint will hold up in the dishwasher. But then again it is so easy to do, you could just touch it up when needed.
    Have fun coming up with names to put on your cups and enjoy your morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - have a huge collection of non-matching mugs and I LOVE chalkboard paint. Have to recreate this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's washable right? I love that idea...what's with all the spam...get those guys Jennifer...sic em ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a great idea! I think I may use it at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! Thanks for helping fuel my chalkboard addiction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an awesome idea. I have seen people use chalkboard paint for other things but love this idea. And it is a perfect idea for our son's teachers! Thanks JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute idea!

    I'm guessing you have to hand wash them though?

    Judy@cutest-little-things

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea for all those junkie mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the chalk board mugs! I have chalk board canisters and I LOVE them! Hope you have a great Tuesday!

    Amy[www.theprikazskys.com]

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw a project like this a while back and have it on my list of things to do. Love your idea of writing fun names on them for the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a cute idea! I had a ton of those mugs and put them out on the curb a few months back. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are always light years ahead of me. I wish I knew about this paint before we got rid of our oddball mugs. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool idea! I don't have any random mugs, though. Maybe I'll hit up the Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best idea I've seen today! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the idea. Like others, I wonder how they will hold up in the dishwasher. (Course, I'm the dishwasher in my home...lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. as always -- cute idea! I'm getting out some mugs and chalkboard paint.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great idea! now i wish i had picked up some mugs at our church rummage sale!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hersey mükemmel dünde yorum bırakacaktım ama ingilizcem yok denecek kadar az ama yazmam gerekki
    calısmalarınızdan etkilendimm

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea! We serve cocoa/cider in the winter to our Bible study and this would be great for not getting the mugs mixed up. I may need to look for mugs at garage sales this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. such a nice and cute.
    i like your idea.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work