header

header

3.03.2010

Coconut Marshmallows!



My real-life friend, Marzipan, posted a recipe for Homemade Marshmallows last month and it was something I've always wanted to try. She flavored hers with mint, but I'm a sucker for coconut!

The Big Guy was somewhat puzzled:

B. G. - "What did you do today?"
J. J. - "I made homemade marshmallows!"
B. G. - "Why would you make something that you can buy for under $1.00?!?"
J. J. - "Because I CAN!"
B. G. - (shakes head and rolls eyes)

END SCENE

So, anyway, it's so fun to try to jazz up something that seems so ordinary. Don't you think? I think these would make a fantastic teacher's gift in a little cellophane bag attached to some cocoa mix with a ribbon!

Homemade Coconut Marshmallows
adapted from Epicurious

about 1 cup confectioners' sugar for coating
3 1/2 envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin (such as Knox)
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water (about 115°F.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites*
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)

I cut the recipe in half and it made a nice 9x9 inch pan, which was plenty for us. So adjust the directions if you'd like to make a smaller batch, like I did.


*if egg safety is a problem in your area, substitute powdered egg whites reconstituted according to manufacturer's instructions.

Oil bottom and sides of a 13- by 9- by 2-inch rectangular metal baking pan and dust bottom and sides with some confectioners' sugar.



In bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand to soften. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240°F., about 12 minutes.

If you set your timer then go check Twitter...your pan will look like this after 12 minutes (just sayin'):



So, I started over. Grrr!!! I do not own a candy thermometer, so I did the old "soft ball" test. I was able to reach this stage after about 6 minutes.



Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. With standing or a hand-held electric mixer beat mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about 6 minutes if using standing mixer or about 10 minutes if using hand-held mixer.



In a large bowl with cleaned beaters beat whites (or reconstituted powdered whites) until they just hold stiff peaks. (had to do this by hand since I was using my mixer...oh, the pain!)




Beat whites and vanilla and coconut extract into sugar mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into baking pan



and sift 1/4 cup confectioners― sugar evenly over top.



Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day. Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board. Lifting up 1 corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and let drop onto cutting board. Cut into cubes.



Sift remaining confectioners' sugar into a large bowl and add marshmallows in batches, tossing to evenly coat. Marshmallows keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 week. (I, personally, think this part of the recipe is a lie as mine became gooey overnight. I'd eat them up pretty quick).


See? We did it! Now, make yourself a cup of ho'cho' and put your feet up, you deserve it.

.

15 comments:

  1. So were they good? Thanks for the truth about the gooey overnight thing..good to know. Kirkland vanilla rocks! Thanks for sharing...I just had pie for breakfast....hey I had to test for Friday is Pieday!!!!!! It's my job ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! i've always wanted to try making them...but just haven't yet...thanks for the kick in the hiney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made plain ol' homemade marshmallows for the first time this Christmas.
    SO fun, but COCONUT Marshmallows??
    Genius!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! I've always wanted to make homemade marshmallows - Martha made it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coconut sounds like a lovely idea! But, I think I'll make peppermint ones next year with peppermint bark for Christmas gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky enough to sample these and they were awesome - loved the coconut flavor and they were light as air! I didn't even share them with the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! We made plain ones over the holidays and decorated them with sprinkles and crushed candy canes. They were so good and lasted a long time. It's way more fun to make them than to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if those don't look yummy! I love coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh.....YUMMMMMY!!!!!! No eye rolls here!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well my guy would roll his eyes too until he ate a dozen of these delicious looking treats. I have yet to make marshmallows but it seems I should as everyone is whipping up batches of them lately. I like coconut too.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from SITS! These look really good and I'm not that crazy about coconut. I have been wanting to try making marshmallows for a while, just haven't gotten around to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a sucker for anything coconut. I don't know if I'll ever get myself to make homemade marshmallows but they look GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! That looks so delicious. I love coconut flavor. I bet with some pineapple juice you could have pina colada marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are far more ambitious than I.

    But they sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very anti- coconut. But, I will admit, in a tiny whisper.. They look delish.

    delish

    Thanks for sharing, doll!

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work