header

header

4.18.2010

Easy T-Shirt Necklace Tutorial



I cleaned out my closets this weekend, and before I could get rid of the extra bag of clothes I planned to take to Goodwill, I saw this fun necklace while watching Martha. Needless to say, I dove right back into the bags to pull out some of the t-shirts from the donation bags for this week's project. I tried to get rid of some stuff, but it's Martha, people! It was meant to be!

Want to make this fun necklace? (I like to think of it as Spring's answer to the scarf.) Get to work cleaning your closets and save some old t-shirts and you will have "shopped" for all the supplies you will need.

Fun T-Shirt Necklace

Supplies:

100% Cotton T-Shirts

Scissors

** I chose coordinating colors, I thought the faded blues and browns made it feel beachy. Martha kept it monochromatic**

Instructions:

Remove the hem from the bottom of your t-shirts, then cut 1 inch wide strips from the bottom of the shirts.



I worked with 15 strips for this project, you can adjust this according to how thick you'd like the necklace to be. (The strips are actually rings since you are cutting the bottom through both layers.) You will eventually double these rings, so 15 strips turns into 30.



Once you have cut all your strips, S-T-R-R-R-E-E-E-T-C-H each one. This will cause them to roll on the sides and elongate them to twice the length.

After stretching, lay them one on top of the other. Try to stack with the seams together.



Holding your rings with the seams in each hand, twist (in a figure 8 kind of shape) to double the rings. Now the seams from both ends will all be together and the necklace will be half as long and twice as thick.

Using an extra strip of t-shirt, wrap the section where the seams have come together, as shown here, to bind the whole stack. Like this:



Pull it over your head...

See how cute? How inexpensive? How customizable? The sky is the limit on the color combinations and thickness!



Want a matching bracelet? Cut up the sleeves, using the same method:



Now, shoo! Go cut up some t-shirts!

See you back here tomorrow for more Tutorial Tuesday for prizes! Pick up a button here to get you started and come back to link up beginning around 10 pm tonight.

Hope Studios




DIY Day @ ASPTL

38 comments:

  1. Very cool and super easy! Actually, at first glance I thought it was leather. Time to do a little closet cleaning ☺.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so making one (or more) of these. My husband just gave me A LOT of t-shirts he doesn't wear anymore. Ones that have something on them I like I have turned into dresses. I will do this with some of the others, they are almost all black though. I think there is a red shirt in there, black and red will look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Looks so great on you. I'm so excited to share it with my children, since they will probably turn it into something for charity! http://havemap.blogspot.com/search?q=bracelets

    Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this is so going on the "gotta do" list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and easy!! I'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw this is super cute! I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww! This looks so cute on you! Now if only I had super cute colors of throw away T's lying around. :( All the ones in my GW bag are white. Great share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh... I love this! I have a whole huge bag of tees that were about to donated, but now they will find a new purpose! :0

    Thanks so much for sharing... Filed at thecraftersfilebox.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a HUGE stack of t-shirts screaming to become this...yahoo for you and this fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shut up! Oh my goodness girlie! You have gotta be kidding me!?! I am sooooo making one of these this week and will definitely post about it and give you all the glory! (If it turns out cute of course...it it doesn't I will take the blame!) It looks fabulous on ya! have a most fab week sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so darn cute! There is a shop on Etsy that sells longer versions of those and have been featured in big fashion mags...I think you are on to something...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this idea. I have a huge canister of pony beads that I think I'll try to get rid of with this idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is super UBER cute and I will bookmark. Teen will LOVE. And might I add that you are rocking the tee shirt necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the colors you used! I'll have to make one of these with my 12 year old daughter. She'll love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute, I am on a refashion my clothing kick and this just gives me one more way to do that, you got to love dear ol' Martha. Hope you had a great weekend.

    Oh, I will get back to you in a week or two about the frames, making a few more desicions before I can tell you colors. When I order and get the frames, I want to blog about to story, if that is okay with you.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a creative idea! (By the way, you look super pretty in your pic!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girlfriend, you are simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is brilliant! I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All those t's I have with bitty holes, but can't bear to throw away are about to be given a new life! Great idea & thanks for the easy tutorial on how to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jennifer!!! I love it. :) I like the coordinating colors. Very very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the colors you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute...off to rid the closet of stained t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cool! Love recycled things! I'm so not crafty, so we'll see how mine turns out, could end up with a humor post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alrighty then......how fast can I come up with some tee shirts?????

    ReplyDelete
  25. extremely do-able and very cute. must do this soon. got here from kimbas blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How clever! Looks like it'd keep your neck kinda warm too and that would be a bonus for me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fun! Looks great! I love that idea.
    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's just too sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I happened to have just cleaned out my closet this weekend.... guess what I am making tonight! Thanks for the instructions! How cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this! I featured it in my Friday Favorites this week!


    http://www.laniejandco.com/2010/04/friday-favorites-with-party-twist.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh! What a fabulous idea! That Martha just gets us into all kinds of trouble, doesn't she? I just found your blog from Serenity Now, and I'm sure glad I did! New follower here... Have a great weekend! ~Kristin from Windy Poplars

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh! What a fabulous idea! That Martha just gets us into all kinds of trouble, doesn't she? I just found your blog from Serenity Now, and I'm sure glad I did! New follower here... Have a great weekend! ~Kristin from Windy Poplars

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it! I think it would make a good head band too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea! I need to raid my old t-shirt pile to try to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just made this in 5 minutes. It looks fabulous!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks so cute on you! Now if only I had super cute colors of throw away T's lying around. :( All the ones in my GW bag are white.

    Cool Shirts

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic I'll be sharing on www.facebook.com/craftychics

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work