Jessica, my new bloggy friend from Style Obsession recently posted about this great Rachel Roy dress that was on sale this month:
I commented that this dress seemed easy enough to sew, and a fun challenge was on!
Jessica and I emailed back and forth a bit and soon she had come up with her version.
I promised her I'd try to carve out some time to come up with my own version. My first attempt couldn't accommodate my ample behind, so I needed to re-cut and start over. It ended up taking me about 20 minutes from start to finish. I started with a paper pattern I used to cut out the fabric shaped like this:
Using a skirt as a measurement guide, I cut a rectangle and simply cut the corners out to create the arm holes. I ironed a 1/4 inch fold in the slanted area and sewed so the arm holes would not fray, then sewed a hem.
Next, I folded the neck area down 1 inch and sewed a channel for the ribbon. Now, just pin right sides together and sew from the hem to the bottom of the slanted armholes (between the arrows in the picture)
Turn right side out and thread cord or ribbon through the channel and tie over your shoulders.
Thanks, Jessica! This was a blast!
Don't forget to link up for Tutorial Tuesday - you just might win some custom stationary from Oh Write!