header

header

8.15.2010

The Good Cookie


Well, I just returned from vacation and believe it or not I did not prepare a tutorial for today (unless you'd like a tutorial on how to drink too many Mike's Hard Lemonades with friends at the beach for 7 days straight). No?

Today, I wanted to share another recipe I make for new neighbors, or friends, and sometimes my own family. Yes, I do let them eat some of my baked creations...but only the ugly cookies. I save the pretty ones for company.

This is a great, chewy cross between a traditional chocolate chip cookie and sugar cookie. I found it in my new copy of the Greyston Bakery Cookbook.

I was fascinated by the story behind this bakery and their partnership with Ben and Jerry's ice cream. The Greyston Bakery has helped transform the lives of many homeless and unemployed in Yonkers, New York. The story of this little bakery full of promise sold me on this cookbook from the beginning.

This cookie, dubbed The Good Cookie was developed after Ben Cohen of Ben and Jerry's found himself laden with a surplus of Brazil nut crumbs. He asked if the Greyston could use them, and this recipe was born. This cookie was even served at the White House Easter Egg Roll in 1993 and has since become famous.

The Good Cookie
The Greyston Cookbook

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup ground Brazil or Macadamia nuts
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips


Preheat oven 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a
Silpat baking pan liner. (Coupon coke FREESHIPPING works today. Woot!)

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, nuts, baking powder, and salt.

In bowl of electric mixer on medium, cream butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.

Reduce mixer to low. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate. Refrigerate dough 10 minutes.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Keep extra dough chilled.

Bake 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

**I forgot to mention that I added half semi-sweet chips and half white chocolate chips, because I can never leave a recipe alone. I must make it my own.**

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm. My boys are always reticent for me to try a new chocolate chip cookie recipe ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it, Mom" one of them commented last week). But these look really interesting. They look chewy, which in my book is a necessity for cookies. Maybe I need to give this one a try!

    Welcome home! Hope your re-entry into life at home is smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that the nuts are ground! I'm not a big fan of chopped nuts in baked goods, but ground would be a great way to sneak them in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubs loves chocolate chip and I love sugar cookies so this would be the perfect combo for us. I will have to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I'll have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like you had a good time on your vacation. Welcome back! Those cookies look amazing. I looked into Greystone Bakery and read about all the good they do after I read your post. I think I am going to have to buy one of their cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good heavens, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really good - my peeps are always game to be my taste testers - it's how we find some of our favorite recipes! Now to find those nuts...maybe Central Market or Whole Foods?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound great! Maybe I'll make them for my friend that should be getting their house keys in a couple days :) On a side note...I give the pretty cookies to my neighbors and let my real friends eat the ugly ones! I must still have something to prove to the neighbors :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. the "good cookie" sounds divine! hope your time at the beach was relaxing and full of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these and they turned out GREAT!!! I used walnuts instead of macadamias and chopped up Hershey bars instead of chocolate chips :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work