header

header

9.16.2011

Doggie Style


I was sitting on the floor with my dog, deep in a discussion about how cute she was the other day while rubbing her tummy and realized I was babbling a string of words I use only with her "ohyourjustababylookatmycutelittlegirliloveyouyousillylittledoggiemybaaaabyyyy..." She wagged her tail and got worked into a frenzy of happiness. Her name is Pipa (named long before the princess' sister came onto the scene) and we love her.

Throughout the day I noticed we have our own little language and that most people have their own secret way of talking to their dogs. My friends can ask their dogs to do something and use totally different words (one of my friends talks to her dog like it's a human, totally normal conversation). Let me translate:

Look at the baby! Good morning!

Wanna go out? Let's go outside

Wanna treat? Snack time

Bye Bye! Time to get in the car

Wanna take a walk? Well, you know that one.

C'mon! Come back in the house

Do your business. Poo, please!

Where's your cheeseburger? Let's play

UH! Stop barking!

Night night. Time to get in your crate for bed

It's Feedback Friday...

So, what is your secret doggie (or kitty) language?

14 comments:

  1. "Come on Snake Dog!" Translation- Let's go for a walk through the field, Falon. I'm scared of snakes, and I know you will protect me from them by barking them to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talk to my kitties. My family says I speak cat and I say No it's just that they understand human. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I never thought about this Jennifer, but I do the very same thing. I have both birds and dogs, and have a different "language" for each of them.
    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I hadn't fully realized we had our own language until we were out in the yard one day and I was saying "Who wants some butt scratches?" (= scratching their back shoulders.) The neighbor was looking over with a very quizzical look on her face :-) lol I always talk to my babies like they're..well...babies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't this all so true?! My voice either goes really high (i.e. 'go for a walk' or 'ooohh! missed my baby today, yes I did!' OR really LOW, "AWWW...who's the good puppy? Huh? Who's my good girl" . . . aren't we just nuts?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If anyone heard me talking to my cats they'd think I was insane! I have different voices for all of them and a habit of slipping into German or Japanese phrases with my cat Riley (note: I'm English and far from fluent in any foreign language!)
    I meow/squeak at them too, in response to their meows and squeaks. They seem to like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We talk to our dog like she's a human :) But that gets us in trouble because my husband and I have to spell words (like W-A-L-K) or our dog gets way too excited and then disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I do agree everyone has their own language with their pets. I am really big on singing to my pets, but that's embarrassing..

    ReplyDelete
  9. We call our 180 lb. 5 year old St. Bernard "puppy" all the time.....it cracks up our neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha - love this! LOVE your pup.

    We DO have our own language:
    beep - get out of the way
    go potty - self explanatory
    treat - treat
    eat - eat
    ack! - ooh girl. you're in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I have to spell the happy words if I don't want her getting excited.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay - last post. You know, after my last comment I realized that dogs are a lot like kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ciao,
    we have four cats at home and we talk with them as they are human.
    We use different languages with all of them.
    Tha Last one arrived we call "Piccolo" that means "THe Little One" and when we say that word he comes and starts to pourrrr
    they are so lovely and nice.
    Ciao from Italy.
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't done it in a long time...but we would call our home phone while we were gone and talk to Gracie on the answering machine!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work