header

header

5.03.2012

Shocking Key West and a Great Grouper Sandwich

Last week I shared some photos of good old fashioned fun on my birthday trip to Key West, fishing, pool jumping, dancing...

What makes Key West so fun is the eclectic mix of tourists and residents who are there to have fun. On a super rainy day of bar hopping from one pool table, dart board, and tv screen to another, we stumbled upon one of the highlights of our trip. The annual Key West Drag Races!

 Plopped in the middle of Duval Street was an obstacle course and many contestants ready to win it all.

Here is one of my favorite "queens" I named, TuTu Man. Here he is in all his blond wig, full beard, pink tutu, and Dorothy shoes glory:


Here are a few queens waiting to run:


A queen crossing the finish line:


Drowned rat Juniper chatting up this blue glory of a queen:


Aside from drag queens, we also found this little treasure just down the street from our hotel, Bo's Fish Wagon:


Looking like a giant pile of rubbish from the outside, inside is an amazing little spot for the best grouper sandwich in Key West!  Bo sold fish sandwiches on Duval street from  this old truck you see rusting into the decor.  25 years later, he has a thriving business!  Worth a visit for lunch or dinner, and don't miss Friday Night Jams for music and dancing.  This was a great find this trip.

So, that's my Key West wrap up!

11 comments:

  1. I have never been to the drag races but I'm gonna' make it a point to go now! I LOVE Bo's!

    I just can't wait til we're neighbors-that means we'll both be living in Key West!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first neighborly duty will be to drink a toast :)

      Delete
  2. I am little jealous that they look better in a mini-skirt than I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, there was one in a bikini bathing suit that I swore was a beautiful woman the whole time I was there!

      Delete
  3. Oh my ~ how fun! Now that is some good people watching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! First thing I thought of for the queen in the finish line pic was-Nice Quads! ;) must be all the running in those heels!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those guys...er...girls were no joke! They ran through tires, pushed a shopping cart filled with shirtless men in Speedos through traffic cones, and ran all with giant platform stilettos!

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I LOVE Bo's Fish Wagon! That is seriously our #1 must stop every time we go back to Key West! Our name is written on the wall somewhere in that place from when we got engaged there a few years back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And by there, I mean in Key West...my husband did not propose in Bo's Fish Wagon. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have walked past Bo's a million times and for some reason I thought it was a hotdog stand! So glad I dropped in this time.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work