header

header

7.06.2012

Controversial Sneakers - Feedback Friday




MSN reported that Adidas released a photo of the new sneaker JS Roundhouse Mids in June.

Adidas has withdrawn plans to release the sneakers due to great controversy.  Those opposed to the design of the shoe felt it brought to mind the chains slaves were forced to wear.

"The design of the JS Roundhouse Mid is nothing more than the designer Jeremy Scott's outrageous and unique take on fashion and has nothing to do with slavery," a representative for the shoemaker told TODAY.com

Some have speculated that Scott's inspiration was the '80's toy My Pet Monster (as seen on ebay):


It's Feedback Friday...

Even without speculation that the shoes are inspired by a toy, would you find these shoes offensive?

Do you think Adidas was right to pull the design due to the controversy?

12 comments:

  1. Who knows where the designer got his inspiration? However, they certainly evoke images of slavery and even if they were inspired by a toy, all I can see are slave shackles. Adidas did the right thing in pulling them. Controversy aside, they look super uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless of inspiration, Adidas should have been smart enough to squelch this inspiration from the get-go. They are offensive in ANY of the ways they could be interpreted. Almost seems like a very ill-advised publicity stunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? The shoes are ridiculously ugly without the cuffs - can't believe Adidas would even think the shoes would sell with them?
    I think it's all a media hype & anything to get attention type of scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are really inappropriate. I'm sure the designer didn't intend them to be (oh please I hope not), but regardless... they make people very uncomfortable and the company is right to pull them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know a company needs help when it's drawing it's inspiration from 1980's cartoon toys eh? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not offended by them, but I think they're ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure I would find them offensive, I just would not think people would buy them

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look ugly and very uncomfortable...that's worse than being offensive!
    ;->

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was a nod to slave to fashion. I don't think there is any thing wrong with them other than they are ugly but that is a style preference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work