header

header

10.25.2012

Day of the Dead Makeup Tutorial






Is it strange that I did a dry run of my Halloween Costume this week to prepare for a party this weekend?  Yes?  Alrighty, then...


Well, I decided to go as a Day of the Dead sugar skull this year and wasn't sure about the makeup so I did it all ahead of time. I figured maybe some of you were looking for costume ideas and so I decided to video it to share how quick and easy it is to apply.

Products I used:

Ordinary white face paint from Target Halloween aisle
Maybelline Unstoppable eyeliner in Onyx
Rimmel London Special Eyes eyeliner in Azure Shimmer
Boots (from Target) lip pencil in Fire
Bonnie Bell eyeshadow in Night

I sped the video up, but it took me 12 minutes total to apply:



I like to apply the base with a brush to get a thin, even coat.  I don't like the chunky, really white face.

Using a large, clear hair comb (about 4 inches long) from Micheal's bridal section, I hot glued just the heads of several silk flowers across the top to make a head piece, then slid it into place.

My hair is pulled up into a messy bun and just below that I clipped a length of black silk to form a veil. I just used an ordinary barrette.



I borrowed a black and red costume dress from a friend, but anything that looks Mexican in style can work.  An off the shoulder blouse, a full peasant skirt, anything!

What I will do differently on Saturday...

1.  I will apply the black around my eyes with a brush to get a smoother, more even layer.  I might even use black grease paint.

2.  I will put more thought into the decorations on the forehead and cheeks by researching online

3.  I saw a video by the amazing Michelle Phan since I did this, with a Day of the Dead Makeup Tutorial and she suggested some other colors on top of the black around the eyes - some deep blue near the corners and center of the lid and some plum colors under the eye to give dimension.  I want to try that.

4.  I might define my lips a bit more

5.  I will apply the white further down onto my neck

What are YOU going to be for Halloween?

8 comments:

  1. OOoooooo scary Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freaky! :) Can't wait to see the final version! Hubby and I are taking the year off from costumes.... I think he's still recovering from last years's fun ~ HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this is so awesome! You did a fabulous job. I love the whole costume. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza, girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing! This is what you should wear if you ever visit San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think a like I did this for a Halloween party . It was super fun. You did a great job on your make up.;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm super impressed! :) I think if I tried to do this I'd just look like I let a small child do it! Loving your blog - your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet--and frightening! lol Fantastic job, totally gave me ideas for next year....

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work