header

header

4.02.2009

A Fun Spring Centerpiece


I saw something similar on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens this month and had to come up with my own twist. I love the organic look of it and the fact that you could make the entire project from recycled or natural materials.

Supplies:

Paper egg carton
Empty egg shells
Soil
Small flowers or plants


Using a knife, crack the eggs in the upper 1/3 of the shell. Hit it sharply to remove the top cleanly then pour the egg into a bowl. I started saving my shells about a week before I began this project. After my husband saw the project he said "I wondered why you've been force-feeding us eggs for a week!"



Using a large carton (18 eggs) I cut it in half to form a square planter. I filled some of the spaces with egg shells filled with soil, and the remaining spaces soil only.


A nice nature walk in the woods turned up fresh grass sprouting and green moss. I spent about $1.69 at Lowe's for a six-pack of pansies to jazz it up. I LOVE moss, so it played a large roll in my finished project.

To dress it up for the Easter table, try using one of those ceramic egg dishes we all have hanging around to use once a year.

I may start some seeds in the remaining shells, like mini-planters. I should be able to put the entire shell into the ground when the seed is ready to go outside. I'll let you know how it works.

Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking at that same cover for a week!!!!!!! I just haven't gotten the "umph" to do it!!!...yours turned out really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work