header

header

8.27.2008

He's Gone...


Those were the words I kept repeating to myself this morning as I watched my Helper Munchkin walk away from me with the rest of his Kindergarten class this morning. I was left with a sense of loss, relief, emptiness, pride, and a blurry picture of my guy following in a line to his first classroom. My vision of him was blurry to me because my eyes were filled with tears, how appropriate that the photo I took came out the same way.

I go through this transition each fall as my full time kids become my part time kids, and teachers get more quality time that I. I struggle with embracing my new identity as "Jen" again, as motherhood is placed on the back burner for 8 hours per day. I feel lost for the first few weeks trying to remember what I like to do, eat, read... Wondering if my boys are missing me as much as I miss them and guilty that we didn't do everything we planned during the long summer.

I worry that the pressure will get to them, that they're not eating a good lunch, that they are getting bullied (or bully-ing). Who will tell them to put on a sweatshirt, notice if they're sick, give them a hug? How can I stop being a mother when that's what I DO? I even write "Mom" in the space that asks my occupation on forms I have to fill out!

I have shed a lot of tears this week in preparation, watching a tv show, listening to a song, just watching my kids play...I know I'm not alone and take comfort from the fact that they are strong individuals who are able to make their own way without me. In one respect, it's a job well done that is breaking my heart. I feel like this song (yes, it's ABBA, just deal!) says it all:



Slipping Through My Fingers

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I’m losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I’m glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what’s in her mind
Each time I think I’m close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she’s gone there’s that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can’t deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
(slipping through my fingers all the time)
Well, some of that we did but most we didn’t
And why I just don’t know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what’s in her mind
Each time I think I’m close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...

Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile...

5 comments:

  1. (sniff,sniff) That first day is so hard, but it gets better! Even though it's our job to make them into grown, independent people, it's so hard to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment hasn't caught up to me until next week....I'm just not right for at least a week. The hardest part of this job is LETTING GO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay.......I'm crying and I still have a week!!!......I also have two with October birthdays...so the fall is bittersweet...I love this season the best, but moving to a new grade and getting a year older is sooo hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, my baby started full day kindergarten too this year. Just skipped off with a smile and a wave. No hug, no "i'll miss you" nothing.
    I was feeling a little sad.
    I saw mamma mia just yesterday and that song kind of choked me up and I thought to myself, There's no crying at ABBA!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can remember so vividly those first days of school. And when all of the kids are finally in school full-time, what is there to do?
    I sure wish the time didn't fly by so quickly...my youngest just graduated from high school and it's almost the same feeling...what is there to do?
    No worries...I'm figuring it out:)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work