header

header

8.26.2010

Summer is Over

What a perfect summer I shared with my boys. It's never long enough and I feel the same wistfulness each "first day of school" as I see them step onto that bus taller than the year before. They really are slipping through my fingers. It's like trying to cup water, I can't hold onto them, I can only enjoy each stage for a short time and embrace the next.



Slipping Through My Fingers

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I’m losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I’m glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what’s in her mind
Each time I think I’m close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she’s gone there’s that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can’t deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
(slipping through my fingers all the time)
Well, some of that we did but most we didn’t
And why I just don’t know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what’s in her mind
Each time I think I’m close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...

Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile...

12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it's over, but how wonderful that you have great memories of a summer done right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Miss Jennifer!!! Now I'm sad ;-( My guys are grown and gone and I miss them terribly. I was just looking at an old photo that I keep by my bedside of my two little boys all dressed in their new 'first day of school' clothes, bookbags and lunch boxes in hand. They have such beautiful smiles on their sweet faces. Little did I know those days would pass by so very quickly. They live in another town now and my oldest just told me he is moving even farther away next year to be near his girl. More miles...more tears .We had such a wonderful childhood, mother and sons. I honestly cannot recall more than a handful of bad days and even those have morphed into funny times.
    Treasure each day Jenn and be the best Mom you can...They will someday call you on the phone..out the blue..and say "thanks Mom...you and Dad really gave us a great childhood".
    That my girl will be the icing on the proverbial cake. It's what will make it all worthwhile. Until then, work hard to give them good memories and a solid sense of belonging. Tell them to never forget who they are...'Neill's'...and that makes them special!

    Thanks for a good cry,
    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww! how sad we are to see them grow but at the same time happy as can be....and proud:) enjoy mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet! love the sentiment, the song AND the movie. ;)

    hope ya'll have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happens in a flash doesn't it? Its funny because the stuff they hold as dearest memories is never the things we tried so hard to make "perfect"....well, I'm sure your super slip 'n slide will be up there on that list (cause that was Awesome!)...but much of what we try and pressure ourselves about won't matter in the end.

    So, I guess we just have fun, make the most of every moment and love them the best we can :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn you and your sweet lyrics!! ;) Now I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as my girls stare at me like I have two heads. You are such a good mama, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been so emotional this week there is no way I can listen to that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My oldest DD is a senior this year and she now has a part time job....I see her less and less....I was so choked up the first day of school that I made her cry, lol. It is so hard to let them go...but you have to if you ever want to see them fly....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tears me up. My boys are growing up so fast. My oldest starts his 2nd year of preschool in 2 weeks. And it's 5 days a week this year. That is going to be so tough. At least it's not full-day though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first time I saw Mama Mia in the theater, I cried when that song came on.

    It just hits too close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope they have a great year.... this was a very touching post!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geeze, I'm already sad I had to come home from vacation and now you've got me all teared up! Another reminder at how quickly they grow :(

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work