header

header

11.16.2009

How to Transform a Room on the Cheap - Tutorial Tuesday

Okay, I touched on this briefly last week, but this week I'll try to get down to the nitty gritty of our Ski Condo redecorating project.

I finally located my "before" pictures for you. This is not the way it looked when we bought it, some of our own touches are incorporated here and there, but it's largely the same.





Any great redecorating project on the cheap, usually begins with a plan and a great paint color. We began this way,choosing to bring a woodsy/cabin feeling to this tiny, bland condo. We warmed up our place with 2 gallons of Eddie Bauer Cabin Red along the long back wall, and a gallon of Eddie Bauer, Craftsman Bungalow Pecan on the remaining walls.




We replaced many of the previous items from the mantle. The previous owner had lots of votive candles nested on plates of marbles (?) and lots of fake plants. It was puzzling.

I found these awesome Pottery Barn inspired reindeer from LTD for a fraction of the price, brought up an old bear picture from home, some log candle holders from TJMaxx, and a photograph I took in our back yard to cabin it up. A vintage glass mail box (filled with pine cones) and lunch box belonging to The Big Guy's Grandpap also found a home there.



The total for the paint was just under $100 and two weekend's work.

The windows were covered with reversible curtains made from 5 yards each of plaid flannel and an inexpensive burlap, and two wooden curtain rods. Total: $125



I will share the instructions for the curtains soon.

I used the extra fabric to make little covers for the top of the ugly recliners to cozy them up, and to jazz up the vertical blinds. We changed out some of the artwork and incorporated some nature (more on that later).

I replaced the ugly brass lamps with Branch Table Lamps from Target for $39 apiece. Burlap shades tie in with the curtains. (the tree wall art was a steal from Tuesday Morning, for $30, and serves double duty as our ski pass holder!)



Overstock came to our rescue with a solution for replacing this ugly track lighting:




Did you keep up with all the weekend getaway fun at my ski condo last week? If not...don't forget to check it out!

Girl's Getaway Recap

Scrunchy Gathered Scarf Tutorial


Gorgeous Fabric Flower Tutorial


Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole and Custom Gift Tags

Salon Quality Manicure at Home!

Girl's Getaway Field Trip!

Love tutorials? Looking for some new Christmas ideas? Check out my friend Kimba's new e-book, A Very Kimba Christmas! You'll love it...I promise.



DIY Day @ ASPTL

16 comments:

  1. I just stopped at 'our ski cabinet' you had me there. Wow to have such a place to use for skiing and hiking. Your are very lucky. And you certainly made it a nice nest away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! You guys did a great job making it feel so much more homey and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get the LTD reindeer tip from me??? I have them too and blogged about them back in October :). I want a ski cabin to redo! You did a great job and I am totally loving the tree-ski-pass-holder. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love EB paint, especially Cabin Red. Your transformation is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. Very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so warm and cozy! I like the red paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just stopped by and love your blog I am a follower!Really loved the scarves and the flower petal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the warm colors you use and how you didn't to a total, expensive overhaul, but you still got dramatic results. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job!! Loved the ski pass holder.
    Charisse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I especially love the new light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the red plaid. You did a lot of smart shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea how bland bland could be. What a nice blank canvas for you artistic eye. That chandalier was the perfect find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chandelier is my favorite thing in the room! Great choice! You have certainly made the home your own ... it's such a vast improvement over the previous owner's style!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty. I did our boys bathroom in a hunting lodge theme, in our last house--they loved it.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work