header

header

7.12.2010

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies



I have a tutorial planned for today, but I'm a little behind on that particular project. Here is a little teaser:



I will explain more on Thursday, but in the meantime, let's make some cookies!

During the summer months, when I finally have my kids at home. I try to do lots of mommy stuff...including baking lots of cookies. There is plenty of snacking going on with 3 boys home all day, and I refuse to let them eat Oreos and chips all day long. Why not sneak in some fiber while I'm at it?

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

* 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 3.4-ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix (secret ingredient!)
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon water
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup old-fashioned oats
* 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
* 1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips (I used 6 oz. chips and 6 oz. grated semi-sweet chocolate to get lots of little flecks throughout the cookie)
* 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (I did not add nuts)


Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter heavy large cookie sheets. Beat vegetable shortening and unsalted butter in large bowl until light. Gradually add white and brown sugars and beat mixture until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla pudding mix, vanilla extract, baking soda, water, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt and mix until well blended. Mix in oats, then flour. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.

Drop cookie dough by large rounded spoonfuls (about 3 tablespoons each) onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies appear dry and tops are lightly cracked and soft when pressed, about 12 minutes (do not overbake). Cool cookies 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Transfer cookies to racks and cool. (Store cookies in airtight container.) **Recipe: Bon Appetit, March 1992**



Do you have a tutorial for me? A recipe, a gardening tip, decorating idea? Join us tomorrow for Tutorial Tuesday for fun and prizes! Here is a button to get you started!
Hope Studios


14 comments:

  1. Oh Yum! Pudding is our secret too--funny how that stuff makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been by in a while and when I do you reward me with delicious cookies! Those look awesome, I'll take six dozen!

    In other news, I started a Blog Frog community for PA bloggers. Stop by and join if you're interested (http://theblogfrog.com/1378074). There's a solid chance you'll be the first member!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, cc oatmeal cookies... hubby's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering! It's almost lunchtime, but I haven't even had breakfast yet. I wish I had a couple of these to silence my growling tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look ah-mazing!! I actually do have a recipe I can share this week (from my post today). Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to go buy some chocolate chips...

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's been a while ... leave it to you to welcome me back with COOKIES! yum ... thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love oatmeal in my chocolate chip cookies. These are a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year my husband's family does a cook off. The girls and the guys have separate competitions and usually the guys make the entree's. This year the tables are turned and they're making desert. These look delicious so I am passing it on- even better that I get to sample the practice runs, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to try these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! I'm sure the secret ingredient does the trick. I'll keep an eye out for your next tutorial. It looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe Miss! I can honestly say these are amazing!!! Ms. Juniper shared these with me (cause she's nice like that :)And I ate them all...one after one....til they were gone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, please!!!! I will be making these soon.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work