I have a tutorial planned for today, but I'm a little behind on that particular project. Here is a little teaser:
I will explain more on Thursday, but in the meantime, let's make some cookies!
During the summer months, when I finally have my kids at home. I try to do lots of mommy stuff...including baking lots of cookies. There is plenty of snacking going on with 3 boys home all day, and I refuse to let them eat Oreos and chips all day long. Why not sneak in some fiber while I'm at it?
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
* 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 3.4-ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix (secret ingredient!)
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon water
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup old-fashioned oats
* 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
* 1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips (I used 6 oz. chips and 6 oz. grated semi-sweet chocolate to get lots of little flecks throughout the cookie)
* 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (I did not add nuts)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter heavy large cookie sheets. Beat vegetable shortening and unsalted butter in large bowl until light. Gradually add white and brown sugars and beat mixture until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla pudding mix, vanilla extract, baking soda, water, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt and mix until well blended. Mix in oats, then flour. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Drop cookie dough by large rounded spoonfuls (about 3 tablespoons each) onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies appear dry and tops are lightly cracked and soft when pressed, about 12 minutes (do not overbake). Cool cookies 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Transfer cookies to racks and cool. (Store cookies in airtight container.) **Recipe: Bon Appetit, March 1992**
Do you have a tutorial for me? A recipe, a gardening tip, decorating idea? Join us tomorrow for Tutorial Tuesday for fun and prizes! Here is a button to get you started!